Author Topic: Propogandize Me  (Read 39599 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Propogandize Me
« Reply #75: July 01, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
I had heard the unverified saying that heroes never die when you want them to. I tried on three separate occasions as well, the penultimate effort being a hero fighting in the 4th Inv when mortality was still in full effect.

In my experience you're quite right. I got tired of waiting for mine to die and made something of him. He died at the height of his power as a ruler, church elder and duke, and just after his realm became embroiled in a war of survival. There literally could not have been a worse time for him to die. I think I am done with heroes now  ;)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: July 01, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
In my experience you're quite right. I got tired of waiting for mine to die and made something of him. He died at the height of his power as a ruler, church elder and duke, and just after his realm became embroiled in a war of survival. There literally could not have been a worse time for him to die. I think I am done with heroes now  ;)

I hoped for mine to get killed by Epic or Sword, or at least Lance. I ended up getting him killed by a random bunch of rogues... they weren't even put there by a monster leader, I think they sprouted up as non-invasion monsters.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: July 01, 2011, 07:16:53 PM »
He died at the height of his power as a ruler, church elder and duke...
That is the *best* time for a  hero to die.  Once you hit that plateau, the only way to go is down. :D

Both of my heroes have died as rulers of decent-sized, successful realms. It's the only way to go.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: July 02, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
That is the *best* time for a  hero to die.  Once you hit that plateau, the only way to go is down. :D

Both of my heroes have died as rulers of decent-sized, successful realms. It's the only way to go.

Yes, but I was still having a lot of fun playing one of most powerful and influential characters on Dwilight. I wasn't ready to be dead yet, dammit! In terms of the sheer drama though, Rowan's death was pretty much the most epic thing ever, so I shouldn't complain too much. It was way better than getting knocked off by some random group of monsters in his old age. He will certainly be remembered for a long time.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #79: July 02, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
Not to mention it helped rally the troops for the revenge attack on Averoth.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: July 03, 2011, 02:21:18 AM »
It was way better than getting knocked off by some random group of monsters in his old age. He will certainly be remembered for a long time.
Heck yeah. Lots better than the way my last hero, Balkeese died: Some crappy little battle in Woolton, of all places.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: July 05, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »
Heck yeah. Lots better than the way my last hero, Balkeese died: Some crappy little battle in Woolton, of all places.

My ruler hero died to a handful of monsters in a rogue region on his way to the capital.

Never played a hero since.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: July 05, 2011, 08:21:41 AM »
My ruler hero died to a handful of monsters in a rogue region on his way to the capital.

Never played a hero since.

Reminds me of how we lost our King in Nighthelm - his 60 man unit ran into a small archer group on his way back to refit while going through Idaol. . . he was one of like 5 casualties his forces suffered -.-

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: July 07, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
I remember that. That was one of those freak battles. IIRC, you didn't even know they were there and weren't expecting a battle? His death was a bit of a turning point in the invasion for a couple realms, I think.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: July 07, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »
I figured I'd make the one of my characters who never got promoted into a hero, so I'd avoid that.

He's now King. Fate is laughing at me.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: July 10, 2011, 12:06:59 AM »
I remember that. That was one of those freak battles. IIRC, you didn't even know they were there and weren't expecting a battle? His death was a bit of a turning point in the invasion for a couple realms, I think.

He spotted them, but simply paid little attention to them, considering how small the unit was.

Those events did forge BT's history afterwards.

Nicolas later returned, started with a blank slate, but JO's old friends took him under their wing while the republicans alienated him. So he followed in JO's footsteps. But Mordred had had enough time to prepare, and Nicolas' preventive rebellion came in as too little and too late to cast him out. Which sent him to Enweil, where he spread his militaristic agenda and pushed the continent's superpower out of its slumber and into an agressive campaign, coordinating with Louis-Joseph who orchestrated the emergence of wars continent-wide.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #86: July 12, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Just recruit the bare minimum of men (Usually 5 but for RCs that have less you can recruit even fewer. My favorite is the SF that only drafts 1 per day. In which case, you have a single soldier standing by your side as you rush into battle.)

The way it works is that generally, a hero can only die in battle after receiving a second "wound" that acts as the killing blow. This might not necessarily always be the case, as I asked once, and was told that a hero can die in one hit depending on his current status. But I'm pretty sure you can't die in one hit when you're in the "Ok" status. In that case, just bring 5 or fewer men along at all times, set to minimum retreat, and have fun watching your unit die all the time. But hey, that means you're not dead.

Another alternative is to go unitless. While this seems pointless, do not underestimate the ability of heroes to tell tales and escape from prison every turn. Furthermore, they don't affect Courtier abilities, nor Priest abilities, both of which are main classes.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: July 13, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »
Just recruit the bare minimum of men (Usually 5 but for RCs that have less you can recruit even fewer. My favorite is the SF that only drafts 1 per day. In which case, you have a single soldier standing by your side as you rush into battle.)

The way it works is that generally, a hero can only die in battle after receiving a second "wound" that acts as the killing blow. This might not necessarily always be the case, as I asked once, and was told that a hero can die in one hit depending on his current status. But I'm pretty sure you can't die in one hit when you're in the "Ok" status. In that case, just bring 5 or fewer men along at all times, set to minimum retreat, and have fun watching your unit die all the time. But hey, that means you're not dead.

Another alternative is to go unitless. While this seems pointless, do not underestimate the ability of heroes to tell tales and escape from prison every turn. Furthermore, they don't affect Courtier abilities, nor Priest abilities, both of which are main classes.

Except that "tell tales" appears about a dozen times in one's lifetime.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #88: July 13, 2011, 04:12:45 AM »
Heh, such a hero isn't very heroic then. Uh...get into more huge battles...With your one-man unit that fights to the last man lol. Because, you know...it's already the last man by default, but you don't have to tell the simple peasants that detail.

You can also move the family home to empty mansions, which is novel, I guess.

Besides, tell tale is just a small little bonus to your heroics. It doesn't have as reliable an effect as the Courtier's options, and hey, look at that...You CAN be a C/H!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: July 13, 2011, 04:52:19 AM »
Except that "tell tales" appears about a dozen times in one's lifetime.

I've told my tale once a turn for the last 4 turns, must just be lucky.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.