Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 42568 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #15: May 27, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
I couldn't care less about the lazy comment. It's the "slanted eyes" I have an issue with. And no, it's not "just a description". Calling an African-American the N-word could be "just a description" too, as the root of the word is from the "Latin/Spanish/Italian/whatever Romance language it was" for "black", yet the connotations behind that word go much deeper. As to references to slant eyes.

Connotations are not universal.

With the right crowd (even black people), I'm sure I could get away with using nigger. The important thing is to make clear I have no malicious intent. Unless otherwise indicated, we should assume these things are benign - this would fall into 'playing the game as with friends'. Just the usage of the word slanted shouldn't mean the comment is racist, and seeing it's IC being racist (not even towards another character but an NPC) alone shouldn't warrant penalty.

If this is considered racist, tomorrow we'll have obese people complaining about fat NPCs and cellar dwellers about characters getting laid.