Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 42203 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #15: May 27, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
Connotations are not universal.

With the right crowd (even black people), I'm sure I could get away with using nigger. The important thing is to make clear I have no malicious intent. Unless otherwise indicated, we should assume these things are benign - this would fall into 'playing the game as with friends'. Just the usage of the word slanted shouldn't mean the comment is racist

Utterly ridiculous. This isn't "the right crowd". I'm sure there are places in the world that I could get away with having a Swastika tattoo, for example. But it's been made pretty clear that referring to such things here is not okay. "Playing the game with friends" does not mean you can say the same sort of thing to anyone in the game that you would to your friends and think it's alright. My friends and I call each other dickhead and !@#$wit all the time and we know it's just a joke. Calling people those names in game, IC or OOC, would not be alright, and using phrases with racial overtones is even worse.

and seeing it's IC being racist (not even towards another character but an NPC) alone shouldn't warrant penalty.

Then be IC racist against IC races/nationalities. Call them D'Haran scum or Arcaean sheep-!@#$ers. Do not be racist about RL races.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:45:15 AM by Velax »