Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 42514 times)

Baatarsaikhan

• Freeman
  • Oh bother...
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #60: May 28, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
If people have to be specifically told in the rules that racism isn't something you should do - in any game - then I fear for humanity. There are no specific rules in the game that say I shouldn't find out where a player lives, drive over there and take a !@#$ on his front doorstep, either, but its probably safe to say it's not something that should be done.

...except that would be actually against most Western RL laws, and likely quite a few Eastern ones too.  Racism is an open topic in many places (contrast Africa vs. NA vs. Europe), and is interpreted in many different ways worldwide.  Legalese aside, it's just as arrogant to apply western ideals to a discussion on morals, especially if it has a tangible outcome on a person's activity, if not everyone in that discussion has bought into those moral viewpoints or is even fully aware of them in the first place.

Making it clear racism in ANY form is bad is better, then making an assumption about people's knowledge of a set of morals or ethics and then punishing people for not conforming to your assumption of their knowledge or agreement.

I think Kwanstein's solution is the simplest to resolve this issue quickly.  Then we can move towards firmly cementing racism as a no-no within the BM contract.
"A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them." -CHINGIS KHAN