Author Topic: Unnecessary Racist Slur  (Read 42809 times)

Baatarsaikhan

• Freeman
  • Oh bother...
    • View Profile
Re: Unnecessary Racist Slur
« Reply #75: May 28, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
Well, tell you what...you can have your opinion on whether I understood your point or not, and I'll keep my understanding to myself, since it solves any debate on exactly how much of it you think I know.  That and I'd rather not argue what I think you think I think I know.  This thread's already gotten a little too far afield in getting away from whether or not Kas broke the Contract.

As a counter-example, I live in Canada.  Also a  melting pot of different cultures - many of them non-Western.  I HAVE seen individuals of a non-Western background - African, eastern Asian, Russian, middle Eastern and others - march into a crowd of strangers and start yelling out racism.  I've seen CANADIANS do this.  It's popped up at a few different rallies, and at least one riot in the past decade.  Those that do, regardless of background are, also roundly condemned. We also certainly don't sit back and say, "Oh, they're from Country X, it's cool, they just don't share our morals," but here's the kicker, we, like your country DO have free speech laws.

We had to wait until a certain former high school teacher and all-around Nazi apologist and IMO utter twit actually attempted to INCITE violence against Jews for us to be able to deport him under due process under our hate speech laws.

The important thing is that we FOLLOWED our laws.

In contrast, I don't think it's utterly clear that Kas broke the BM laws.  Did he do something I find deplorable?  Yes.  Against the contract?  No.

It's in the same way, like I and others in this thread have been saying, if it's not in the rules, especially clearly extractable from them, then maybe a simple "Hey, it's not against the rules, but it's deeply frowned upon" is all that's needed.  If it's not, THEN we can go look at revising things so that they're clearer.

I do like the simple "No homophobia, racism, sexism, or other hate speech allowed" idea, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:47:33 AM by Baatarsaikhan »
"A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them." -CHINGIS KHAN