Author Topic: Appealing a Titan decision  (Read 13579 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Appealing a Titan decision
« Reply #30: June 03, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »
Too bad there's only about 1.134 active ones... ::)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: June 03, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
Please don't take away the Titans. Not everyone uses the forums, and some of the newer/younger players may be too intimidated to openly and publicly accuse a much more established player. The best thing about the Titans is that it protects the identity of the accuser.

I believe the Magistrates should handle the gray areas, while Titans deal with clear and blatant abuses and IR violations.

Then we have to change that attitude and improve the system.

Having two systems that are basically doing the same is never a good thing.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: June 03, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
Couldn't you use the in game Titan reporting system to funnel complaints into the Magistrates who can then discuss the matter in a private forum in cases where the two parties wish to remain anonymous and then still allow public complaints/cases in the Magistrates forum?

Of course, you'll still need an in game interface to enforce things, but just combining the two seems to make sense.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #33: June 03, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
Couldn't you use the in game Titan reporting system to funnel complaints into the Magistrates who can then discuss the matter in a private forum in cases where the two parties wish to remain anonymous and then still allow public complaints/cases in the Magistrates forum?

Of course, you'll still need an in game interface to enforce things, but just combining the two seems to make sense.

While I agree with the general thrust of this, what kind of provision would you have in place for those cases which start out public and then either party wishes to go private? Or maybe it would be an idea to have this system for two kinds of cases - public ones for minor offences which may only warrant a warning or the like - and private ones for more serious cases where anything up to a lightning bolt/permanent lock is the maximum sanction?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: June 03, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
While I agree with the general thrust of this, what kind of provision would you have in place for those cases which start out public and then either party wishes to go private? Or maybe it would be an idea to have this system for two kinds of cases - public ones for minor offences which may only warrant a warning or the like - and private ones for more serious cases where anything up to a lightning bolt/permanent lock is the maximum sanction?

All cases should be public to an extent. That was the major innovation of the Magistrate system in the first place, so that the community could see the reasoning that went into the decisions being made. I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of option that allows the accuser and accused to remain anonymous, however.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 03, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of option that allows the accuser and accused to remain anonymous, however.
That would be an immense amount of work. I am pretty sure it would require the dev team to write their own anonymizing UI for the forums.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 03, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
That would be an immense amount of work. I am pretty sure it would require the dev team to write their own anonymizing UI for the forums.

Or you can just not show the complainer and he can choose himself if he wishes to join the discussion on the forum.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: June 03, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
Or you can just not show the complainer and he can choose himself if he wishes to join the discussion on the forum.

This is more what I had in mind, not a UI modification to enable anonymous forum posting. I assume it would be easy enough to leave the complainer's information out of the initial case notification, though the Magistrates should have a way to know who it is.