Author Topic: Church of Sartan comes to Beluaterra  (Read 25389 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Sartan comes to Beluaterra
« Reply #15: June 02, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
I agree, it's still there, but it will get you instantly banned - so what's the point of being an outcast on the island? But I guess you're right - it does pose a challenge if you really want to do it. It's just sad a noble can be banned for killing a few peasants. But we are getting off topic here, so let me get back on: I hope the CoS on Beluaterra grows a pair and becomes a true warrior religion. In the end though I think the religion will be short lived as I can already imagine Thalmarkin destroying it.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 02, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
The thing about CoS on FEI is that there just aren't enough people in it that are devoted to it enough to try and buck the system. It suffers what most BM religions suffer: It is full of people that don't care about it. They are there for political reasons, or really no reason at all. If the leaders of the religion tried to do anything remotely controversial that would hurt the political position of their members, a significant portion of those members would just refuse to participate, or outright leave to find some other, blander religion.

I don't think that a CoS on BT would escape this problem, either. (We are seeing this begin on Dwilight now with SA as well.) Melhed tried to have a religion that would take a more prominent role in running the government, didn't they? And IIRC, that religion was one of the reasons Thalmarkin went after them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 02, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
The thing about CoS on FEI is that there just aren't enough people in it that are devoted to it enough to try and buck the system. It suffers what most BM religions suffer: It is full of people that don't care about it. They are there for political reasons, or really no reason at all. If the leaders of the religion tried to do anything remotely controversial that would hurt the political position of their members, a significant portion of those members would just refuse to participate, or outright leave to find some other, blander religion.

I don't think that a CoS on BT would escape this problem, either. (We are seeing this begin on Dwilight now with SA as well.) Melhed tried to have a religion that would take a more prominent role in running the government, didn't they? And IIRC, that religion was one of the reasons Thalmarkin went after them.

I hear you. Players (yes, players) approach religion too much with the question "what benefits does this have for me?". Too few play an actually devouted character that puts his religion first, or at least does not constantly require compensation for its devotion. By which I do not wish to force everyone into playing like I want it to be, but I do hope some people consider playing a more religious character, which seems more fitting for BM than the usual political games.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 02, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
I agree, it's still there, but it will get you instantly banned - so what's the point of being an outcast on the island? But I guess you're right - it does pose a challenge if you really want to do it. It's just sad a noble can be banned for killing a few peasants. But we are getting off topic here, so let me get back on: I hope the CoS on Beluaterra grows a pair and becomes a true warrior religion. In the end though I think the religion will be short lived as I can already imagine Thalmarkin destroying it.

If you ask me, having the no rape/murder rule is what makes FEI different, as Indirik said. It's something that is 100% character-created and enforced. There's nothing in the game that stops you from doing it, it was the characters that made this system of rules. And I think that's pretty cool.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #19: June 02, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the current ruler of Fronen (Richard Telrunya) was pretty big in the Church of Ibladesh. Well, I am not mistaken. I was there. This could be interesting, although I have always expected him to recreate CoI in Fronen rather than join CoS. Because, when you really look at CoS, it is so wrong... they worship a god of war and all they cry about is how horrible war is. At least on FEI. Pussies.
Richard actually has condemned the CoS.  He hates that particular church.

So...  There could very well be a few  realms united against the CoS.

Noldorin

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 02, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Hm, I wouldnt at all mind a war where Jaune/AA defends CoS and Thalmarkin moves in to defend AA! Sounds like jolly fun :)
Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 02, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
At this point, who would be dumb enough to challenge Thalmarkin?

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 02, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »
o/ Their lands belong to AA \o
~Violence is always an option!~

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 02, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
o/ Their lands belong to AA \o

I thought AA's lands belong to Thal...  :P

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 03, 2013, 02:51:16 AM »
I thought AA's lands belong to Thal...  :P

Well, technically all of Thal's lands + Vatrona and Gemke once belonged to AA . And Jaune is a royal family of Thalmarkin as well. :P
So longterm, we took a bit of a risk with the casus belli we chose and the precedent we set though I doubt that it'll lead to any problems short term. :)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #25: June 03, 2013, 04:13:10 AM »
At this point, who would be dumb enough to challenge Thalmarkin?
Rio thought the same thing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 03, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »

As in, "Who would be dumb enough to challenge Riombara?"

Actually, no. What happened was we had an arrogant bastard of a High Chancellor who basically said one thing to the rulers, and then something quite different to his realm, so that Riombara didn't really have any clue of the depth of !@#$ Folcard's brand of anti-diplomacy had landed them in.

Liara's been trying to undo it, but she keeps getting assassinated by infiltrators who then jump on ships and sail away.

...I'm already working on figuring out a good way to prevent that from happening, because it's clearly an unintended consequence of sea travel, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it an exploit at this point.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 03, 2013, 05:12:19 AM »
No one stood up and said "Hey Riombara, we're gonna TAKE YOU DOWN!"

Riombara said "Hey Enweil, we're gonna TAKE YOU DOWN!"" and Enweil and its allies decided to not roll over.

Huge difference.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 03, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »
Yea Rio is a piece of work. Anyway, back to CoS.

Melhed's religion is dead, and CoS seems like it could potentially fit the ticket for a replacement. We haven't seen any priests at all since Yeux left and the war ended; Melhed is basically pagan through and through right now. Someone is off trying to make nice with a religion, but Maya won't let anything in without it coming to her for ultimate approval.

Wonder who it'll be to become Melhed's new state religion... I can see that decision potentially making some new ties and new enemies.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: June 03, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
Haha...hushhh tandaros. You are not supposed to tell everyone what i am trying to do. Or the other. :p Either way...it's gonna be another controversy coming. :p