Author Topic: What does Atamara need to happen?  (Read 31908 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
What does Atamara need to happen?
« Topic Start: May 31, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
Title says it all. What do you think needs to change or occur in Atamara AND how would you see it occur?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: What does Atamara need to happen?
« Reply #1: May 31, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
A rift in the Empire. How it happens doesn't really matter. Anything that breaks up the power block is good.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 31, 2013, 07:24:18 PM »
Lots and lots of secessions.

How? Rebellious Dukes! Throw down the yoke and wear the crown that you deserve!

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 31, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »
Inactives need to get booted from power.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 31, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
Less "team" mentality.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 31, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
Less "team" mentality.

Please explain. Battlemaster is very much a team game.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 31, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Please explain. Battlemaster is very much a team game.
Perhaps he thinks people are playing for the wrong team?

Realm as team = Good
The entire alliance as team = Bad

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 31, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »
Perhaps he thinks people are playing for the wrong team?

Realm as team = Good
The entire alliance as team = Bad

This for sure.

But I also think on the realm level that people, OOCly, are unwilling to consider betraying their realm and see themselves, not as playing a medieval noble with his own ambitions, etc. but just as playing an avatar as part of "Green Team Darka" or "Red Team Cagilans."

Maybe some disagree on this though.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 31, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Inactives need to get booted from power.

I second this. Many rulers on Atamara seems half-inactive. They do just barely enough so they don't lose their crown.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 01, 2013, 12:09:47 AM »
This for sure.

But I also think on the realm level that people, OOCly, are unwilling to consider betraying their realm and see themselves, not as playing a medieval noble with his own ambitions, etc. but just as playing an avatar as part of "Green Team Darka" or "Red Team Cagilans."

Maybe some disagree on this though.

Well, my character, who is a duke in the CE is quite proud and at times arrogant, and would love nothing more than to be a ruler of his own realm (although I myself do not particularly fancy it). But at the same time, he is also a staunch loyalist. There is really no motivation for a Duke of the empire to secede. Least of all while the war continues.

Ambitions? Being a Duke is almost the highest position possible, with only ruler topping it. And even then, it would be ruler of a duchy (which they have already) as opposed to one of five Dukes, and one of nine council members in one of the most powerful realms in Atamara.

Then, of course, there is the fact that the rulership of said realm and duchy would likely be lost in the ensuing conflict. There is currently no likely action that could get such a divergent reaction, short of banning a Duke (as far as I reckon it).

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 01, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
I imagine the issue would also be that any Duke that tries to break off would be drowned by the CE alliance unless they had enough support to balance it.

I think some sort of fracture in the Empire would be the most interesting thing for the Atamara, though how it will happen I can't say. Maybe someone needs to get tired of being federated or something.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 01, 2013, 01:15:07 AM »
I do have to say, if there wasn't a meddling giant alliance looming over everything, the continent looks much more interesting than it did when the war started. You've got the 3 Estons, a broken Barony, a strong Minas Leon and stronger Coria and in the South Carelia split and Caergoth and Suville both grew (one a little more than the other). This is as close to perfect a set-up for interesting local conflicts as it gets (again, ignoring the old realms. :P).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 01, 2013, 03:38:54 AM »
Well, my character, who is a duke in the CE is quite proud and at times arrogant, and would love nothing more than to be a ruler of his own realm (although I myself do not particularly fancy it). But at the same time, he is also a staunch loyalist. There is really no motivation for a Duke of the empire to secede. Least of all while the war continues.

Ambitions? Being a Duke is almost the highest position possible, with only ruler topping it. And even then, it would be ruler of a duchy (which they have already) as opposed to one of five Dukes, and one of nine council members in one of the most powerful realms in Atamara.

Then, of course, there is the fact that the rulership of said realm and duchy would likely be lost in the ensuing conflict. There is currently no likely action that could get such a divergent reaction, short of banning a Duke (as far as I reckon it).

It sounds to me like the way for the Dukes to get what they want is to make a pact to all secede at once, and form an Imperial Council, which would consist of the dukes themselves, and could continue the running of the Empire without each Duke having to answer to someone else within his own Duchy (a Duchy which would become a sovereign realm unto itself).

This would, of course, screw the Duke of the capital duchy pretty badly, as he'd be the only one left under a separate Ruler. Unless the Duke of the capital city's duchy is, in fact, the ruler; I know little about CE, I'm afraid, or I could propose something more closely tailored ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 01, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »
Well, my character, who is a duke in the CE is quite proud and at times arrogant, and would love nothing more than to be a ruler of his own realm
This directly contradicts this:
There is really no motivation for a Duke of the empire to secede.

No motivation? You just said it up above: "my character ... would love nothing more than to be a ruler of his own realm". Apparently there is something that your character loves more than being a ruler of his own realm: Being a duke in someone else's realm.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 01, 2013, 06:35:23 AM »
Stick with CE long enough and eventually you'll get a realm to rule. See: Tara, Carelia, Coria, Strombran, etc. I was surprised that no one demanded the crown when we were carving out Lyonesse!
------
qui audet vincit