Author Topic: The Dwilight University  (Read 28611 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: The Dwilight University
« Reply #15: April 15, 2011, 11:47:12 PM »
They reportedly have the only copies of the only heretical works as declared by SA.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 16, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »
I just joined. Forgot to PM Ironsides back.. he jumped on me so instantly  :-X

It's definitely a good place to expand my social side.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 16, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
lol, you mean you actually got a message on joining?  ??? :o   ;)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 17, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »
I frequently read the University's articles on the Wiki  ;D
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: April 17, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
There hasn't been much recent activity really. Most of the time you sit and wait for Bowie to send out his next "historical" article.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 18, 2011, 06:03:08 AM »
That is what I want to address in this post. A) How come no one participates in the many available departments, all different from the others and all open to everyone. B) If everyone claims they want unique culture and identity then how come they aren't participating in something I think is a catalyst to Dwilight wide originality. History is a major part of a nations identity. Being aware that other realms have a history should compel one to "be in the game too." The Dwilight University is a place to mesh that (and that is just one example).

Besides the characters involved, what do you think the university could do differently, or do in general that you would like it to?

Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 18, 2011, 06:16:11 AM »
That is what I want to address in this post. A) How come no one participates in the many available departments, all different from the others and all open to everyone. B) If everyone claims they want unique culture and identity then how come they aren't participating in something I think is a catalyst to Dwilight wide originality. History is a major part of a nations identity. Being aware that other realms have a history should compel one to "be in the game too." The Dwilight University is a place to mesh that (and that is just one example).

Besides the characters involved, what do you think the university could do differently, or do in general that you would like it to?

Probably a lack of time and/or inspiration. In my experience it takes a fair bit of time that to produce an article of this type. In my case, where I am struggling to find the time to even right a RP once or twice a week, things like articles are at the bottom of my to-do list when I have time for BM activities.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #22: April 18, 2011, 06:18:06 AM »
Same here, although I will have more time to do things during the summer before I start college.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 18, 2011, 06:43:29 AM »
It doesn't have to be a thesis, just a paragraph about some minor incident etc, add it to the library and eventually if enough people add paragraphs you have a functional library.

The only reason I haven't joined is because its so drat far away. Where is the closest one to Asylon?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 18, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
There doesnt seem to be many southern guild houses.. Am guessing a Lurian would have to travel north past the Divide Mountains to get to a guild house?
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 18, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
Nearest campuses in the Occidens are Dunnbrook and Chesney, as for Toprak Minors..., hmm, Ashrak? I tried to make a deal to get one built down there but it didn't go through...I lost Flowrestown before I could uphold my end of the bargain. Too bad they didn't just build one anyway. Looks like those students will have to do a bit of leg work. Maybe something can be arranged between the University and any Lurian Lord willing to make the trip?

It doesn't have to be a thesis, just a paragraph about some minor incident etc, add it to the library and eventually if enough people add paragraphs you have a functional library.

And for those interested in creative writing we offer space in the Illiterati, the university's own fiction journal :)
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 18, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
There doesnt seem to be many southern guild houses.. Am guessing a Lurian would have to travel north past the Divide Mountains to get to a guild house?

Ashrak.

For me to join, I had to travel from Terran... to Ashrak. Join, return, build. The guildhouse in Dunnbrook was built by a Caerwynian who traveled to Terran.

Honestly, I recommend a Lurian lord come to Chesney, in Terran. I have TONS of guilds you can join.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 18, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
That is what I want to address in this post. A) How come no one participates in the many available departments, all different from the others and all open to everyone.

My honest opinion? It's Bowie. The problem as I see it, is that Bowie has a huge personality that overshadows just about everything, and everyone, else in the guild. He's the most active, the loudest, and the most prolific contributor. Just about everything that comes out of the University seems to be, in one way or the other, connected with him. And Bowie is widely hated. Ergo, the University is widely hated. And when the most visible Dean of the University is sending out letters to foreign governments telling them he hopes they kick SA's ass, that's not going to win the University any love in the northern half of Dwilight.

I can only think of two members of the University off-hand. One is Bowie, and the other is Sejieda. Both people that would be perfectly happy if SA were to disappear today, if not sooner. Both were strong advocates of the University.

B) If everyone claims they want unique culture and identity then how come they aren't participating in something I think is a catalyst to Dwilight wide originality.

Perhaps you haven't demonstrated to people that the University can provide what they want? Or perhaps they don't want what you think they do.

You can't divorce the university from the personnel involved with it. Not in the kind of game we are playing. The people *are* the guild.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 18, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »

While I think some of what Indirik said is true, I don't think that Bowie doing less would necessarily inspire other people to do more.

I haven't contributed a ton largely due to time. But I may go from here to my long-standing Maroccidens project and work on it some.

What you need, frankly, is a high-ranking Astroist priest to hold the Dean of Theology position. Think about how medieval universities functioned. Uh-huh. That's right. Church backing. The Dwilight University essentially has official church backing from Triunism in Terran. You need SA.

Find a smart, active SA priest who will write a treatise or two but, more importantly, who wants to RP the university's theology department as a kind of "intelligentsia of the SA priesthood." Like monks or Jesuits or something.

Get a big SA priest on board in a high position, and you will have the necessary clout to counter the anti-SA reputation. And have the most important seat filled (Dean of Theology on Dwilight seems like a pretty big deal).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 18, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Get a big SA priest on board in a high position, and you will have the necessary clout to counter the anti-SA reputation. And have the most important seat filled (Dean of Theology on Dwilight seems like a pretty big deal).

That is an excellent suggestion. I wouldn't necessarily say that it would have to be a priest. But a very highly influential, senior member of the faith would be an excellent move if the University were to correct their image. To expand and gain popularity and usage, they will have to play a bit of politics.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.