Author Topic: The Dwilight University  (Read 28640 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: The Dwilight University
« Reply #30: April 19, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
Giving a SA priest such position you will affect the objectivity of the theological department.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 19, 2011, 02:25:02 AM »
No matter who it is given to, the argument could be made that it will affect the objectivity of the department. For example, If you give it to a Torenist, they'll be biased against SA, as SA killed their faith. Since *everyone* follows some religion (and please don't try to claim that there's such a thing as an atheist on Dwilight, of all islands), their faith will affect their decisions and outlook.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #32: April 19, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »
Dean by Committee. More than one person can be in an elder spot, and that could be seated by an authoritative figure from each religion on Dwliight.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 19, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »
Offer a Dean slot to any religion that finances a guildhouse.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 19, 2011, 05:38:59 AM »
I am on my way to join. Big bad SA member on his way to take over the university. 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Hossenfeffer

• Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sanguis Astroism - The Bloodstar Phases
« Reply #35: April 19, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
If everyone claims they want unique culture and identity then how come they aren't participating in something I think is a catalyst to Dwilight wide originality.
People want unique culture and identity, but many (most?) don't have the time, or don't have the inclination, or don't feel they have the ability to significantly contribute towards it.

It's up to those who do have the time, inclination and ability to shoulder the burden and create awesomeness!  ;)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 19, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Giving a SA priest such position you will affect the objectivity of the theological department.

Giving the position to anyone not in SA would affect the objectivity of the department. You need a theologian to follow the one true religion, or else it's not theology, it's just superstition.

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 19, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
People want unique culture and identity, but many (most?) don't have the time, or don't have the inclination, or don't feel they have the ability to significantly contribute towards it.

It's up to those who do have the time, inclination and ability to shoulder the burden and create awesomeness!  ;)

Looks like I'm the man for the job... 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 19, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
Giving the position to anyone not in SA would affect the objectivity of the department. You need a theologian to follow the one true religion, or else it's not theology, it's just superstition.

Then you wouldnt want to give it to anyone in SA since its just superstition at best  ;)

Maybe a Theological Board rather than 'Dean' would be best. Allow no religion to hold the majority so only 1 member each on the board.

The only thing stopping me from taking such a journey is the damn Monster Invasions Waves that Lupa Lapu seems to attract - wish we would just abandon it to be honest. But I shall certainly journey north, I do want to visit the other realms and see what its like up there north of the Divides :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #39: April 19, 2011, 10:18:26 PM »
:o I almost have no words for that. Only the word 'arrogance' passes my mind. Haha..

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 19, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
I'm part of the university and I'm one of the most dedicated fighters of SA  :o

I also follow no religion or faith as it is part of my vow to serve as High Magistrate with an unbiased opinion on all religion in Caerwyn.  ::)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #41: April 20, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »
Even then it is Tom's opinion that no noble man or woman was an atheist. So even though you are not registered by a recognized religion, you still believe in a higher power/being.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 20, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »
I can understand that many people are busy in real life and are not able to play the University as I hope they would, that is not what I am addressing. So far, however, it seems to me that the University has an image problem.

First, it should never be looked at as "Bowie's University" because he is not the sole authority. If for instance a "History of Sanguis Astroism" was submitted to his department he would never reject it just because he is the religion's opponent. He can't, he is the Dean of History, it would contradict his position. Sure in his work he injects his views but he has never done so to distort the facts and he has never ignored a challenge to his work. Anyone is free to submit an alternate history, as happened with the Chronology, and he will have to accept it.  And Sejieda is rarely active, but even if he was I am sure he would agree with me on this point. We could never, in spite of ourselves, throttle the vitality of the University because of our own personal decisions. It is not a political institution, it is academic and social. That is why leaders from opposing realms are members, and can freely chat with each other without outside strings attached. Inside the University is secular (that is to say available to all members of any religion) and a free and open institution.

Regarding the Dean of Theology position, Pasha Blatkovechkin should have been promoted (and he applied several times, Bowie even vouched for him) because of his contributions to the department, not because he was an SA priest. The Theology department should be an academic field for all religions not a bell jar over the ones not pertinent to the Dean. Deanships should be given to the best regular contributors of a field. A Dean of Theology then is someone who examines, explores, challenges, analysis, experiences etc. religions of Dwilight. This position has to abide by the same point I made above. If the Dean of Theology accepted or rejected works based on her own policies and not the open spirit of the institution then she should not be the Dean. What they submit is their own, but what they allow submitted should depend on the quality (not content) of the work.

And, the University is not strictly for realm or political interaction spawning material, there is an Arts department (perhaps for avid writers/roleplayers), a political science department (for those who have ideas or experiences on how realms/elections/positions and more are handled), and other fields that are open to core roleplay source building, to wholly invented works, and to entertaining Dwilight focused material. I guess all of this depends on the time and commitment of the player, but I think it is rewarding if even you submit something small. Contributing to the game (and wiki) is a way of playing the game in my mind.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 20, 2011, 07:03:35 AM »
Regarding the Dean of Theology position, Pasha Blatkovechkin should have been promoted (and he applied several times, Bowie even vouched for him) because of his contributions to the department, not because he was an SA priest. The Theology department should be an academic field for all religions not a bell jar over the ones not pertinent to the Dean. Deanships should be given to the best regular contributors of a field. A Dean of Theology then is someone who examines, explores, challenges, analysis, experiences etc. religions of Dwilight. This position has to abide by the same point I made above. If the Dean of Theology accepted or rejected works based on her own policies and not the open spirit of the institution then she should not be the Dean. What they submit is their own, but what they allow submitted should depend on the quality (not content) of the work.

That is stupid.

You have an academic institution on a continent with a huge, deeply RP-ed, well-financed, politically-powerful religion that geographically overlaps your university, and you want to make your Dean of Theology a dean of, what, sociology of religion? Comparative religion?

Hell no! Make it the Jesuit boot camp. Make it mandatory for priests over a certain rank to get a "Degree" from Dwilight University's Theology department.

You claim to have an OOC desire to create culture. Prove it. Use the big RP institution at your disposal (Dwilight University) in tandem with another big RP institution (Sanguis Astroism) to create synergies of RP.

In other words, make Mathurin Hossenfeffer your Dean of Theology. Or, actually, maybe Hireshmont II will have a little chat with Labell Enstance... (that way, Terran could still have a lock on the University, even as in Astroizes!)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 20, 2011, 07:14:10 AM »

It might become true that a religion could dominate the department of theology, one thing could lead to another and bamo there is your idea in play. I argue though that it is a Dean not a Prophet. Their judgment is academic, not spiritual. This is not the University of Sanguis Astroism it is the Dwilight University. It can't be strictly one thing. That's what the actual religion is for. Let the temples and churches create their own education system if they want. Actually, that would make a hell of a great article for the Department, and this debate would have done well to originate in the University. (Ah ha!, there's the rub! We are doing in this thread exactly what we should be doing in the University!)

Culture can originate from things other than religion. I hoped the Illiterati would produce fictional works from various realms for us to enjoy. Like a story of a noble who lived in the Occidens battling the monsters, etc. It would give other players insight into those realms through the eyes of another character. A realm could become famous for its heroes and adventurers. Why not? The Keepers of Lore tried to do something like this but suffered from the same lack of contribution as the University is.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there