Author Topic: Religion without priest  (Read 5065 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Religion without priest
« Topic Start: June 01, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
How long can a religion survive if it loses its last priest? How much time is there for someone else to take up the cloth?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion without priest
« Reply #1: June 01, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I think temples start falling apart immediately. Something like one level per day? So you don't have very long before you lose it, unless you have some *really* big temples.

However, I am fairly certain that paused priests still count as active priests for their religion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 01, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
I think temples start falling apart immediately. Something like one level per day? So you don't have very long before you lose it, unless you have some *really* big temples.

However, I am fairly certain that paused priests still count as active priests for their religion.
Oh ok, that's rough. Thanks.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 01, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
I believe it depends in part on the global treasury.

Also, paused priests only count when they have been paused for less than a month. Once they go over that, they're considered unlikely to be coming back.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 01, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
Also, paused priests only count when they have been paused for less than a month. Once they go over that, they're considered unlikely to be coming back.

I was paused for 1 1/2 years and when I came back Silas (a priest of SA) was no longer part of the religion and no longer a priest. So you get officially kicked out if paused too long.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: June 02, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »
When did you bring him back?
Because I could have sworn pausing didn't remove characters fom religions. Now it seems to do so constantly.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 02, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
It didn't used to, but I believe with the most recent pausing system implemented, it now does for Cold Storage.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 02, 2013, 01:29:59 AM »
It didn't used to, but I believe with the most recent pausing system implemented, it now does for Cold Storage.

This is correct. Any character paused and put into Cold Storage will be removed from all guilds. This includes any autopaused characters (as autopausing simply uses the Cold Storage pause code).

This is because characters put into Cold Storage are—must be—assumed not to be coming back.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 02, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
This is correct. Any character paused and put into Cold Storage will be removed from all guilds. This includes any autopaused characters (as autopausing simply uses the Cold Storage pause code).

This is because characters put into Cold Storage are—must be—assumed not to be coming back.

I still strongly disagree with this.

Say you have a dude who is an elder of a religion and part of 7 different guilds on Dwilight. Then, say, you know you'll go on vacation for two weeks without internet access, so you plan to use vacation mode before leaving. But, surprise! !@#$ happens and, before you leave, you don't get that opportunity to go use the vacation mode. Kicked from all guilds! Spend months trying to rejoin all of the guilds, enjoy your balance reset, and screw the logic of being forced out of your class and no longer belonging to the church your preached for for all of these years.

I really don't see the point of kicking out of guilds with a mere autopause.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 02, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
I really don't see the point of kicking out of guilds with a mere autopause.

Because the scenario you outline, frustrating as it is, is a once-in-multiple-years occurrence.

The general case of autopausing—people who really won't be coming back for the foreseeable future—is a weekly or even daily occurrence.

And unfortunately, we haven't yet perfected the telepathy module for BattleMaster. Once you can implement one of those, call me and we'll talk about adding it to the autopause code.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 02, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
Because the scenario you outline, frustrating as it is, is a once-in-multiple-years occurrence.

The general case of autopausing—people who really won't be coming back for the foreseeable future—is a weekly or even daily occurrence.

And unfortunately, we haven't yet perfected the telepathy module for BattleMaster. Once you can implement one of those, call me and we'll talk about adding it to the autopause code.

The prior situation, where autopause did not generate auto-kick from guilds and religions, seems preferable to the new situation, where it does.

No strip seems preferable to a hasty strip. If you insist that this change was necessary, at least it wouldn't be as bad if the game waited for at least a month (preferably 2) of inactivity to kick from guilds and religions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 03, 2013, 01:57:54 AM »
The prior situation, where autopause did not generate auto-kick from guilds and religions, seems preferable to the new situation, where it does.

No strip seems preferable to a hasty strip. If you insist that this change was necessary, at least it wouldn't be as bad if the game waited for at least a month (preferably 2) of inactivity to kick from guilds and religions.

And then we get people complaining about guilds and religions that are surviving for far longer than they should because they have paused elders, or religions with elder memberships that are completely paused and unable to be reclaimed...

No. Like I said, the situations you describe are far less common than people autopausing who are actually never going to come back.

Don't like it? Make sure you set up a proper hierarchy in your guild or religion so that if you autopause, you will have successors who can take over for you and promote you back into your place when you return. If you return.
Timothy Collett

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 03, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
For the love of Tom, do not ever consider not booting people from guild and religions when they auto pause. 99% of them never come back, and then the guild/religion sits there with filled seats, wondering if that person is going to come back or what. 
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 03, 2013, 03:41:32 AM »
Would waiting a month really kill anyone?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 03, 2013, 04:46:08 AM »
Would waiting a month really kill anyone?

Would getting their positions back really kill anyone?

Look, if you don't have enough clout within the guild or religion to get your positions given back immediately, or didn't plan well enough so that you had trusted successors rather than people who would betray you and work to keep you out, then perhaps you didn't deserve to have them in the first place.

BattleMaster is, and always will be, designed to make things work smoothly for the people who play it. Not for the people who are coming back after being gone for 3 months, when there is conflict between the two. Sorry, but that's the right way to design it, whether you like it or not.
Timothy Collett