Author Topic: Fane  (Read 67011 times)

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Fane
« Reply #135: June 20, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
The fact that the creation of Fane wont stop the Sirion war machine was very well stated inside Sirion and everyone pretty much agreed. I find it weird that Sirion "needs" to make a full war declaration to the rulers or even to Fane itself because the very same reasons Sirion was fighting Westmoor is what applies for Fane, Armstrong knew very well that seceding wouldnt be exorting the new realm from war.

A war declaration wouldnt improve the RP atmosphere in my opinion but remark the obvious.

Cheers.

“A leader leads by example, not by force” .- Sun Tzu ;)

Hinamoto

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: June 20, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
Well first that comes in my mind is the imaginary kidnap of the Westmoorian king to declare war just to join Fontan and Sultanate of Asena. When in truth Westmoor had already made a deal with Fontan about the regions Fontan would give up when taking the Sirionite ones, making the kidnap a very lame invented excuse just to join the gangbang.

The fact that happened 3, 4 or 10 years ago doesnt remove it as a fact.

SIRION NEVER FORGETS!

“A leader leads by example, not by force” .- Sun Tzu

Hinamoto

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: June 20, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
“A leader leads by example, not by force” .- Sun Tzu ;)

What does that has to do with my previous post?  :o
“A leader leads by example, not by force” .- Sun Tzu

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: June 20, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
Well first that comes in my mind is the imaginary kidnap of the Westmoorian king to declare war just to join Fontan and Sultanate of Asena. When in truth Westmoor had already made a deal with Fontan about the regions Fontan would give up when taking the Sirionite ones, making the kidnap a very lame invented excuse just to join the gangbang.

The fact that happened 3, 4 or 10 years ago doesnt remove it as a fact.

SIRION NEVER FORGETS!

It is good when people don't forget their RP. :)
That is how it should be.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: June 20, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
So, something that happened about 4 years ago, before the time of most players now in the game. Fair enough. Your original comment made it sound like it was something that happened all the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: June 20, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
It is good when people don't forget their RP. :)
That is how it should be.

It's not good when people are still upset over perceived slights that happened 5+ RL years ago. Most players in the game haven't been here that long, so basing your foreign policy on events that old is just going to upset and confuse them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: June 20, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
It's not good when people are still upset over perceived slights that happened 5+ RL years ago. Most players in the game haven't been here that long, so basing your foreign policy on events that old is just going to upset and confuse them.

I agree to an extent.
In terms of foreign policy, usually it evolves itsself quickly enough to change within less than 5+ RL years many times.
In case of Sirion, well, it might be an exception, since Sirion was always put into the one defensive RP by its enemies, so I can understand them there.
It will be interesting to see what they do after they have achieved their goals...

In terms of personal RP, I believe that you need to remember everything you have RPed and abide by it.
You can't change your personal RP just because a newer player wasn't there to read it...10 others still were.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: June 20, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

While that is true, there is also the "We have always been at war with Eurasia" mentality at play. Even if the actual perceived slight is from so long ago that few characters alive then actually remember it, the resulting dislike between realms can take deep roots. It would be bad RP to suddenly become friends with a realm you've hated since you were born, even if you have no other reason to hate them than because it was the cool thing to do where you're from.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: June 20, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
While that is true, there is also the "We have always been at war with Eurasia" mentality at play. Even if the actual perceived slight is from so long ago that few characters alive then actually remember it, the resulting dislike between realms can take deep roots. It would be bad RP to suddenly become friends with a realm you've hated since you were born, even if you have no other reason to hate them than because it was the cool thing to do where you're from.

Oh, sure. The problem isn't the general culture of dislike—it's when an event from so many years ago is brought up as a specific reason for doing something now, especially when that something is a change from the status quo.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: June 20, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »
Nivemus and Sirion are in Oligarch, why no battle? Did they forget siege engines or something?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: June 20, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Are they still approaching Oligarch?

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: June 20, 2013, 10:21:12 PM »
Are they still approaching Oligarch?

Yep, that's the one! I scouted the city and everyone is still on route...uh, now we have to wait for next turn...
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: June 20, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
Sirion have a history and I believe most of our players knows very well why we are marching to war. Something we don't need to explain here in every detail just to please another players in a OOC level. Ignore the entire history of a realm because of new players is a complete non-sense. They have to learn, if they care, about the realm, its history and reasons to go to war. We have many old characters to teach them and I have more than 150 RPs with Erik that I will never forget just because new people want to dance holding hands. And surprise, they want to fight.

Sirion have many reasons to declare war. Historic reasons and new reasons as well. From our perspective, Armstrong is a traitor that want to hold the city for himself, not a King with intentions to grow (even if he had such reasons), then we don't need to respect his claims. And even if he had legitimate claims, the realm with more power, for any reason, including greed (pure and simple), usually gets what it wants. We have many things going on, we just don't need to tell it here like the villain of a slapstick movie.

For the people who wants to see Avamar burning, you will need to wait for another couple of years. Now, Erik the Terrible is marching to assault Oligarch. I love new nicknames.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: June 21, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
But Sirion are elves and elves are evil! Burn, burn, burn!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: June 21, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
Because of that we like to burn our enemies first.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!