Author Topic: next invasion  (Read 14470 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: next invasion
« Reply #15: June 11, 2011, 02:49:16 AM »
I don't think whining about invasions on BT are justified. Wasn't it clear, from the beginning (it used to be the "New World") that it would be a temporary continent? As much as I hated that idea I kept that in my mind: eventually it would sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Which is a shame, because for a very long time I found BT to be the most fun continent of BM.

I've never heard of it being labeled as temporary.

And while some whining is about how hard they are (which is completely dumb considering most realms survived mostly intact the last two invasions), most are about how fun (or not) (some aspects of) the invasions are. This is a game, and so I don't think it's unfair of players that have their chars receive a bashing ask that it at least be done in a more entertaining way. We are, after all, *playing a game*. Something we'll stop if we aren't enjoying ourselves, as games that aren't fun are pointless.

And the invasions were not anywhere near perfect, and a lot of little things done differently would have made a lot of players feel a lot more satisfied in both cases, if you ask me.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #16: June 11, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »
BT is also a testing island, which means things are...tested there. That's why early mortality code was insane and people dropped like flies. Because it was a testing island, and the code needed to be tested live somewhere.

We all should understand the risks when playing on a testing island. I believe it's pretty clear, as I recall reading somewhere about how testing islands differed, and how I should play there only after recognizing that I could have everything I worked for on such an island evaporate to nothing.

Also, you can take a deep breath because in all likelihood we'll never have an Invasion-like in-game event, at least in the same form like the 4th Invasion, again.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 11, 2011, 04:29:18 AM »
BT is also a testing island, which means things are...tested there. That's why early mortality code was insane and people dropped like flies. Because it was a testing island, and the code needed to be tested live somewhere.

We all should understand the risks when playing on a testing island. I believe it's pretty clear, as I recall reading somewhere about how testing islands differed, and how I should play there only after recognizing that I could have everything I worked for on such an island evaporate to nothing.

Also, you can take a deep breath because in all likelihood we'll never have an Invasion-like in-game event, at least in the same form like the 4th Invasion, again.

Invasions have nothing to do with being a testing island. Nobody is complaining about it being a testing island. I rather preffer it, in fact, as stable islands are always locked way too far behind.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #18: June 13, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
Well, when did BT get changed to testing anyway. It might have been the same time as FEI went to stable. But if BT was testing while Invasions occurred, then...huh...those NPC codes were "stable"?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 13, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
BT has been a testing island since long before I joined, which was almost 5-1/2 years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 13, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
BT has been a testing island since it went live. FEI went to stable as a response to Dwilight appearing on the testing branch.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #21: June 13, 2011, 07:49:21 PM »
So next I'll wonder whether Invasions and BT being a testing island had any significant correlation.

I know that NPCs on stable has been done before, if I understand the Colonies with the Lich King properly.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 13, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
So next I'll wonder whether Invasions and BT being a testing island had any significant correlation.

No.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 16, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
Well, when did BT get changed to testing anyway. It might have been the same time as FEI went to stable. But if BT was testing while Invasions occurred, then...huh...those NPC codes were "stable"?

BT has always been testing as far as I know.

FEI switched to stable after DWI was created with DWI becoming the replacement testing continent.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 17, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
BT has always been testing as far as I know.

FEI switched to stable after DWI was created with DWI becoming the replacement testing continent.

This is indeed what I have always believed.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 17, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
BT was never meant to be everlasting. Tom will eventually drive everybody out of the continent.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 17, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
BT was never meant to be everlasting. Tom will eventually drive everybody out of the continent.

Says who?

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 17, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
I do believe Tom said that, so many years ago. And it's a general consensus amongst people that it was a temporary continent. At least for me, the intentions of an invasion have always been to rid the continent of players (or has been), so it could be closed down. It worked the other way around, though. Invasions actually attract people.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 18, 2011, 12:59:23 AM »
I do believe Tom said that, so many years ago. And it's a general consensus amongst people that it was a temporary continent. At least for me, the intentions of an invasion have always been to rid the continent of players (or has been), so it could be closed down. It worked the other way around, though. Invasions actually attract people.

I've been here since 2006, and read the d-list since almost as long, and don't recall ever reading that. I'm pretty sure it would have left an impression.

I've lived through two invasions. The last one clearly said the invasion could destroy the continent, but I never had that slightest fear in the third invasion, where my impression was that everyone knew the continent would come out alive and it was just a question of how many realms got killed in the process.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #29: June 18, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »
That's true. And it has been said before, like on the first Community site forums.

The 4th Inv announcement said as well:

"The reason for an announcement is that we will be changing the rules. We do not guarantee a human victory this time. Our NPC sides have been set up with pre-determined, limited resources (and income, just like human realms). They are balanced for a fair, but tough fight. And they may win. If they do, you may lose part, or even all, of Beluaterra."

As well, there were times when Tom might have hinted that he desired BT to be wiped, but this is unsubstantiated, and unless he gives some statement, should not be taken as fact. I do not think he would say anything about it though, since that would artificially influence the continent's dynamics.