Author Topic: Order of Aristocrats  (Read 30444 times)

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Order of Aristocrats
« Reply #30: June 07, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
Very much so, I'm surprised that someone would bring up SMA.  Games of Thrones has it, which has houses like house Stark which is composed of smaller houses. You could also consider this a form of clans, like the Scottish clans which had their rivalries and alliances as well.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: June 07, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
I really like the idea of following an avenue like this to focus on personal and family relationships, as well as vows of fealty. If you want to talk abut SMA, this concept is super-SMA since medieval politics was primarily about these kinds of private associations, and governments and dynasties tended to form in their wake. For a while I've thought  the intricacies of Dwilight could use an extra vehicle for deep personal connections that could span realms.

So, I'm pretty excited to see what might unfold with this  :)

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: June 07, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
Very much so, I'm surprised that someone would bring up SMA.  Games of Thrones has it, which has houses like house Stark which is composed of smaller houses. You could also consider this a form of clans, like the Scottish clans which had their rivalries and alliances as well.
Game of Thrones has families like the family stark Stark. Which is referred to as a house. Which is not the same thing as a great house bowie is referring to.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: June 07, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »

Houses and Clans are related by blood.

This is purely based on politics, and who you want to be working with.

This is why I've occasionally fantasized about a version of BattleMaster wherein families were not linked directly to players, but rather there were large sprawling family trees that every character belonged to...that would really change the dynamic...*sigh*
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: June 07, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
  • Game of Thrones is in a medieval setting, but let's not forget here that it is fiction. Unless you will argue with me that medieval Europe had White Walkers, Wargs and whatever else Game of Thrones has to offer. That being sait, please, it pains me to see someone take Game of Thrones as their example for what the middle ages were like. It remains fiction.
  • From what I get this guild inspires to create "official" political bonds. So it imitates a current day political party. I love the idea, really, but I'm just wondering here if it is SMA.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:28:30 PM by Fleugs »
Ardet nec consumitur.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 07, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Houses and Clans are related by blood.

This is purely based on politics, and who you want to be working with.

This is why I've occasionally fantasized about a version of BattleMaster wherein families were not linked directly to players, but rather there were large sprawling family trees that every character belonged to...that would really change the dynamic...*sigh*
An option to have characters be born into other people's families would be cool.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 07, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
An option to have characters be born into other people's families would be cool.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen within BattleMaster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: June 07, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
  • Game of Thrones is in a medieval setting, but let's not forget here that it is fiction. Unless you will argue with me that medieval Europe had White Walkers, Wargs and whatever else Game of Thrones has to offer. That being sait, please, it pains me to see someone take Game of Thrones as their example for what the middle ages were like. It remains fiction.
  • From what I get this guild inspires to create "official" political bonds. So it imitates a current day political party. I love the idea, really, but I'm just wondering here if it is SMA.

Yes it's SMA. The War of Roses was a war between royal houses.

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 07, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
1.  Dwilight has 'unique' items, undead and monsters-I don't see your point.
With a one noble character limit and everything being linked to one family per player, this is a good compromise.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 07, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
And as soon as I think up a good name, I will found that House and show you all!

Khari will be there.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #40: June 07, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »

People, please remember that SMA stands for Serious Medieval Atmosphere, not Serious Medieval Simulator. Not everything needs to be the same as medieval times, as long as it keeps the atmosphere of the medieval era.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 07, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
People, please remember that SMA stands for Serious Medieval Atmosphere, not Serious Medieval Simulator. Not everything needs to be the same as medieval times, as long as it keeps the atmosphere of the medieval era.

The difference being?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 07, 2013, 07:35:33 PM »
The difference being?

The difference being, that even though it may not simulate medieval times accurately, A Song of Ice and Fire has Serious Medieval Atmosphere in spades. (One might even go so far as to call it Morbid Medieval Atmosphere...)
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 07, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
Yes it's SMA. The War of Roses was a war between royal houses.

Royal houses. Which were actual families, actually related by actual blood.

Not just loose coalitions of nobles who were working toward some common purpose.
Timothy Collett

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #44: June 07, 2013, 07:37:40 PM »
The difference being?

If you have to ask that, you were never arguing for SMA in the first place. The reason Game of Thrones is such a good comparison is that it keeps the atmosphere of the medieval time period (especially if you consider that on the main continent there is no evidence of magic until the dragons come back) along with the fantastic legends of witches, magic, and so on that sprinkled the period irl.