Author Topic: Order of Aristocrats  (Read 29989 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Order of Aristocrats
« Reply #60: June 09, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
...went into the priesthood.

And third sons went on the Crusades.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Second_Sons
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 09, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
It is getting a little ridiculous if ASOIAF/GoT should serve as the reference series for what is SMA and what is not. I liked how the explanation of SMA was referenced as "Look at Game of Thrones, it's set in a medieval setting, that's what SMA is about". However the argument of whether or not mercenaries are SMA is pointless regardless of them being in GoT or not. It serves just as an example, not as the example. That being said, I think the re-found definition I now have of SMA allows for many more ideas to actually be okay.

Ironically for Ironsides I had long been considering doing something similar in Luria Nova, and I may still go ahead with it. At first I was aiming for some sort of political parties but now I'm considering some form of a League of Lords, you know, to unite lords so they can defend their feudal rights and demand more privileges.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:48:57 PM by Fleugs »
Ardet nec consumitur.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: June 09, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »

Ironically for Ironsides I had long been considering doing something similar in Luria Nova, and I may still go ahead with it. At first I was aiming for some sort of political parties but now I'm considering some form of a League of Lords, you know, to unite lords so they can defend their feudal rights and demand more privileges.

We were thinking of ways to make political factions in Swordfell, since it is a Republic, but it is harder to create artificial divisions between a common nobility. At the end we pretty much all wanted the same things, so why split up?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: June 09, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
We were thinking of ways to make political factions in Swordfell, since it is a Republic, but it is harder to create artificial divisions between a common nobility. At the end we pretty much all wanted the same things, so why split up?

Right, and the concept of Great Houses more or less imitates political parties. But I found that too "specific", since I think most nobles aren't on the same line as political parties nowadays try to be. Hence why I'm opting for a union of people who have their mind set on one common goal but differ on others. But hey, maybe I just create a Great House myself.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 10, 2013, 12:30:41 AM »
Right, and the concept of Great Houses more or less imitates political parties. But I found that too "specific", since I think most nobles aren't on the same line as political parties nowadays try to be. Hence why I'm opting for a union of people who have their mind set on one common goal but differ on others. But hey, maybe I just create a Great House myself.

Definitely create a Great House!

But the difference between Great Houses and Political parties in a realm is that there are few things to oppose in terms of realm direction, all the nobles pretty much want the same thing for their realm, but the Great Houses are for the benefit of the individual noble, and the direction is continental direction rather than just realm focused. That's at least how I differed the two ideas. Scale, and focus.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #65: June 10, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »
...went into the priesthood.

And third sons went on the Crusades.

Pretty sure a GoT/ASoIaF reference just whizzed past your head there, bud.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: June 10, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »
Pretty sure a GoT/ASoIaF reference just whizzed past your head there, bud.

That's entirely possible. I'm about 1/10 of the way through Book 3.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: June 10, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »
This goes for all you filthy Capulets out there: don't mess with House Montague.  8)

The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: June 11, 2013, 03:18:28 AM »

Dibbs being Leo! Ha! Snooze you lose!

;D

Telamon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: June 11, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
Don't forget that Romeo dies, Ironsides.
Lewis Therin (Phantaria) – Lanfear (Fronen) – Ishmael (Adventurer/Phantaria)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: June 11, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »
Don't forget that Romeo dies, Ironsides.

You mean this Romeo: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165929/? :)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: June 18, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
There already are "great" houses, they're called Duchies.

And virtually all the people playing are nobles and nobles ARE the aristocracy. This whole thing seems pretty silly, but don't let me stop you from continuing on...  8)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: June 18, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »

And virtually all the people playing are nobles and nobles ARE the aristocracy. This whole thing seems pretty silly, but don't let me stop you from continuing on...  8)

Thank you Lord Wet-Blanket, we will indeed continue.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: June 19, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »

Very few people have much attachment/affiliation to their Duchy outside of, well, the Dukes.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: June 19, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Well then that's the duke's fault.