Author Topic: New religion idea for Dwilight: Agrarian Faith of the Ancestors (working title)  (Read 22047 times)

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
Founding a new religion looks more and more like an effort which would greatly benefit from many friends all across the place - of connections, reputation, status - none of which my current character nor family has. Rafaello the brash young knight might found it one day, but to be fair to him he is only seventeen and his friends can be counted with fingers of one badly mutilated hand. There is a story there building, gradually, and perhaps there will be a time when founding the faith will be done together with a large and influential group of nobles, with a few notable characters willing to become priests right from the start.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Founding a new religion looks more and more like an effort which would greatly benefit from many friends all across the place - of connections, reputation, status - none of which my current character nor family has. Rafaello the brash young knight might found it one day, but to be fair to him he is only seventeen and his friends can be counted with fingers of one badly mutilated hand. There is a story there building, gradually, and perhaps there will be a time when founding the faith will be done together with a large and influential group of nobles, with a few notable characters willing to become priests right from the start.

If I may make a suggestion: the best way to learn how to play the religion game well and learn the needs of a religion is to join a successful one and become a priest. I'm obviously partial to SA, and it's a fantastic place to see what the religion game can be: but there are other religions too where you can explore what works, and what doesn't, it religions.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Look at some of the RP from the start of SA, some of them are in family's histories.  Brance Indrick's rp's with the prophet are pretty enjoyable and are on his family's wiki.

Joining the Order of Aristocrats may be the thing you need as you could found a house called the House of the Ancestors and gather people willing to help you in this endeavor, and then through your house's power put in the temples that you need.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestralism
« Reply #63: June 24, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
It seems that very few religions can survive the departure of the founder. I suppose if Torpius were still around (when the heck did he leave?) AP would be alive, not only because there would be an elder priest, but because he seemed to take the religion roleplay quite seriously. The founder of SA is still around, isn't he? Is there an example of a faith in Dwilight that has survived losing its prophet?

Mathurin disappeared for a good long time (he paused the character I believe), but he announced his intentions ahead of time and it was roleplayed that he was going into religious seclusion. He eventually came back, obviously, but he was out for quite a while, and SA did just fine without him. SA had some serious momentum on its own by that point though.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 24, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
Mathurin disappeared for a good long time (he paused the character I believe), but he announced his intentions ahead of time and it was roleplayed that he was going into religious seclusion. He eventually came back, obviously, but he was out for quite a while, and SA did just fine without him. SA had some serious momentum on its own by that point though.

Lucky for him, back then, pausing didn't mean removing all guild ranks... No way to regain the top ranks otherwise.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: June 24, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
Lucky for him, back then, pausing didn't mean removing all guild ranks... No way to regain the top ranks otherwise.

Sure there is.

For the guild founder, if he returns, he can reclaim his founder's position.

For anyone else, as long as they still have friends at the top of the guild, they can be promoted back to whatever rank they used to hold.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
This could be a very interesting new religion and now's the perfect time to find some havens for it.

Zakilevo

Wow Arundel is back :o I wonder what kind of interesting things he will do this time around.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
is Kihalin's injury getting to you? cause I am pretty sure this is the wrong topic  :P...
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
What happend to this idea? Seemed interesting to me!
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)