Author Topic: New religion idea for Dwilight: Agrarian Faith of the Ancestors (working title)  (Read 22106 times)

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
 Divines?

"The Order of Divine Kepler"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Though not all BattleMaster faiths abide by it, I believe its generally recommended to have religions end in -ism. The text that religion names are used in fit best this way.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Sanguis Agrarianism.

The blood is in the earth! Not the Stars!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Sanguis Agrarianism.

The blood is in the earth! Not the Stars!

Omg is Verdis Elementum!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
Well, I have thought of "Agrarianism", which would be pretty much about what it is, but that is more like it's scientific definition. Or I could even go for "Ancestral Agrarianism", which would make us brethren of Alcoholics Anonymous, which by the looks of it might be something Niselur is in a grave need of.

The difficulty here is that there are no names for the deities yet. How do you name something that is essentially a framework? Throw time into the mix?

"Chronoism?"

Something could be squeezed out of latin, but I do not know the language all that well. I suppose I should be glad I am nowhere close to actually founding it yet.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I would say Terranism... except we have the realm of Terran.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You could base the name off of the celtic Tuatha Dé Danann, gods and goddess who were once men and ascended into gods.  You could say Tuathaism, Deism, Dánaism(celtic gods).

I hope you don't mind my massive walls of text... maybe you will see where this is going.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Deism has its own meaning already.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I would say Terranism... except we have the realm of Terran.

This.

Just to make !@#$ confusing.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
This.

Just to make !@#$ confusing.

'Is Terranism the original faith of the Terrans?'
'No, that would be Triunism. Terran lead a religious war against Terranism.'

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
Hehe, "Terranism" would indeed be special in the way Vita described. Many matters in religions and their squabbles do tend to look rather silly for the outside world. But I think I shall pass this one.

Still, thank you all for the input. Instead of confusing or arbitrary, I am beginning to lean towards "Agrarianism" due to its simplicity and its very descriptive nature. If the faith is about food, rural lands and the harvests, this would immediately give a hint to those who just see its name. But I am afraid it leads to images of the noble followers toiling the land in their sacred rituals...

I would also like to avoid a name that has to be abbreviated, as I quite dislike abbreviations in IC letters. With who words it can hardly be avoided, unless, of course, the first part would begin with "S".

Oh well, there's still plenty of time to think of a name. It does look like there are quite a few steps to be taken and stairs to climb until it even has a chance of being officially founded, let alone well established.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Just remember that you cannot run a successful religion on RP alone. It may last for a short while, but it will eventually dry up and blow away as people lose interest. In order for a religion to maintain people's interests in the long run, it has to get involved somehow in politics and control. That's pretty much the hook you need to get people interested, and keep them interested. If you just due the whole "We're not interested in politics" thing, you'll end up a bland, pointless bunch of disinterested members.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
Indirik,

Thank you for the advice. I suppose any new faith has to appear quite harmless to begin with, when it yet does not have very much support. But as far as politics and influence is considered, let me give you a hint: "temples exclusively on rural regions".

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Indirik,

Thank you for the advice. I suppose any new faith has to appear quite harmless to begin with, when it yet does not have very much support. But as far as politics and influence is considered, let me give you a hint: "temples exclusively on rural regions".

Not to be harsh, but I predict such a faith being allowed more as a curiosity than anything else. People may join the faith because of its unique flavor and distinctiveness, but that alone is usually not enough to motivate people into actually contributing to the faith, instead of just signing up and building a temple or two.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron