Author Topic: Encourage Players to resolve issues themselves first?  (Read 4093 times)

Chaotrance13

I had a thought after this post from Geronus in General Discussion:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,4346.msg110306.html#msg110306

As it stands, having had a quick look at the Magistrates page in-game, would it not be an idea to actually add this idea to that page in writing? So in other words, make it quite clear that any issues should be discussed in-game between the players as the first step and if no solution or compromise can be reached, then it's time to bring in the Magistrates.

As a second point, I also notice there's no mention of using the Magistrates as a threat or weapon against other players. Currently doing this with the Titans is considered an actionable offence. Again, would it be an idea to add such a reminder to players on the Magistrates page that this is the case (assuming it is)?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
I have no problem with either suggestion, but one of the Devs would have to make the actual changes to the UI.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
I think its a good idea but you might need to do the text.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Chaotrance13

So.. will this be forwarded to the Devs for consideration or something, assuming the rest of the Magistrates approve?

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Doesn't discussing a player's offense conflict with using the Magistrates as a threat?

If I discuss with a player how their recent action conflicts with a Magistrate ruling, that is exactly what I'm doing...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Doesn't discussing a player's offense conflict with using the Magistrates as a threat?

If I discuss with a player how their recent action conflicts with a Magistrate ruling, that is exactly what I'm doing...

That's not necessarily the case. What you shouldn't do is threaten another player by saying you'll go to the Magistrates if they don't stop doing whatever they're doing. Just point out that it's against the rules, or that it is offensive to you, whatever is appropriate for the situation at hand and ask them to stop. Just don't mention the Magistrates or the Titans while you're doing it. If you can't work it out without mentioning the Magistrates, then just report it. The important part is to give the other player a chance to correct their behavior before we have to get involved.

This sort of approach applies most directly to cases where someone is violating the Social Contract. If someone violates the IRs or another rule more specific than the Social Contract, you can just report them.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Most frequent case of talking about the issue with the player should be done would most likely be with when you are offended. While you should take care to not offend anyone, you may do it on accident in which case those who are offended should contact you first that you are offending them, then if they continue they now know they are being offensive so it is a good idea to report it to the magistrates. (My apologies for saying you instead of something else, its just easier for me)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Most frequent case of talking about the issue with the player should be done would most likely be with when you are offended. While you should take care to not offend anyone, you may do it on accident in which case those who are offended should contact you first that you are offending them, then if they continue they now know they are being offensive so it is a good idea to report it to the magistrates. (My apologies for saying you instead of something else, its just easier for me)

Okay, but otherwise, it is best to just report?

For instance, I had seen an event which I believed to be against the rules, and contacted the player privately to inquire about it and cited a specific case, so they could be aware of it if they weren't. Was that wrong to do? I wasn't offended personally, I just saw something that wasn't fitting with the Social Contract and had been previously ruled upon.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
There's a difference between 'Hey, stop doing this or I'll report you to the Titans/Magistrates/Tom!' and 'Hey, this goes against the rules, you mind correcting your behavior please?'. Basically, don't threaten to report people; there's nothing wrong with discussing a rule and asking that someone stop breaking it. If they refuse to cooperate, then report them. But report them without posting about how you're going to report them. You should never need to tell someone 'i'm going to report you'.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thanks for the clarification.