Author Topic: Great Dwilight War:Astrum defeats Asylon and Farronite forces.  (Read 263648 times)

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Luria vacated Donghai, leaving Morek to attack stragglers. Caiyun was merely being travelled through by a singular unit in retreat and the poor choice of travel location was quickly condemned within luria.
That's a lesson for all young nobles listening in-know your holy sites.

In other news, the question for Niselur next is who will Astrum focus their armies on, or will they split them in two?   They are getting enough nobles from Terran.

Oh and accursed priest-you know who you are.  ;D
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm wondering when Jonsu is going to pony up and found a schism. I mean where else is there to go from here? She's just declared war on all but two members of the Elder council. With the way the voting is structured dismantling the elder council will take a massive concentrated effort of the full members to unseat everyone. I don't see that kind of opposition in the church and several of her biggest supporters are on the fast track to excommunication. Overthrowing the council from within doesn't seem to be in the cards however forming a new church as a refuge for everyone getting excommunicated or otherwise estranged from the church is a sure fire way for her to consolidate her supporters.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
But I hope that she would stay on, priests also need their fair share of the war... more conflict is always better..
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
But as a priest, she can't be cast out from the church.

So she can do whatever the hell she wants in the name of the church.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I never liked that mechanic. It's been abused in the past.

Seems to me that in the game, we unilaterally tell people "You don't have the right to play in a specific realm/island/guild." Except when it comes to being a priest. They have the unbreakable right to play in their religion, and on their island. They can't be kicked out of a religion by any means short of execution, nor can they be deported from their island. You simply cannot get a priest out of your religion, regardless of what they do. (Unless they slip up and break some rules, resulting in Titans/Magistrates) case against them.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

I never liked that mechanic. It's been abused in the past.

Seems to me that in the game, we unilaterally tell people "You don't have the right to play in a specific realm/island/guild." Except when it comes to being a priest. They have the unbreakable right to play in their religion, and on their island. They can't be kicked out of a religion by any means short of execution, nor can they be deported from their island. You simply cannot get a priest out of your religion, regardless of what they do. (Unless they slip up and break some rules, resulting in Titans/Magistrates) case against them.)

I suppose hiring infiltrators to keep stabbing them is out of the question?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
I suppose hiring infiltrators to keep stabbing them is out of the question?

You can't keep doing that forever. For one thing, they become temporarily immune to that after each time. For another, eventually all your infils will get bored, or caught.

egamma

You can't keep doing that forever. For one thing, they become temporarily immune to that after each time. For another, eventually all your infils will get bored, or caught.

As long as the stabbings happen in friendly territory (and with SA spread out all over the place, that's easy enough), the judges can just keep releasing the infiltrator.

And it won't be too long before the hours really get impacted.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
As long as the stabbings happen in friendly territory (and with SA spread out all over the place, that's easy enough), the judges can just keep releasing the infiltrator.

There are some sort of restrictions in place to make sure you can't keep someone perma-wounded by stabbing them repeatedly. I do not know their exact nature and character, but I suspect they would limit the effectiveness of this tactic over the long term.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
There are some sort of restrictions in place to make sure you can't keep someone perma-wounded by stabbing them repeatedly. I do not know their exact nature and character, but I suspect they would limit the effectiveness of this tactic over the long term.

This is especially true of a priest, who can pop right out of the region as soon as he's better, if he has the hours.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm wondering when Jonsu is going to pony up and found a schism. I mean where else is there to go from here? She's just declared war on all but two members of the Elder council. With the way the voting is structured dismantling the elder council will take a massive concentrated effort of the full members to unseat everyone. I don't see that kind of opposition in the church and several of her biggest supporters are on the fast track to excommunication. Overthrowing the council from within doesn't seem to be in the cards however forming a new church as a refuge for everyone getting excommunicated or otherwise estranged from the church is a sure fire way for her to consolidate her supporters.

I was just thinking this as well. Considering that she has 0% chance of becoming Regent now even if the secularists install 3 supporting Consuls (which honestly is what I thought her next move would be) her only options are to either 1) rescind her claims, 2) schism, or 3) perpetually rant, rave and otherwise troll every letter from an Elder, claiming that she has "removed them from office".

Unfortunately for everyone on the full members channel I suspect she'll go with 3, though I suppose 2 is an option once she gets bored.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I was just thinking this as well. Considering that she has 0% chance of becoming Regent now even if the secularists install 3 supporting Consuls (which honestly is what I thought her next move would be) her only options are to either 1) rescind her claims, 2) schism, or 3) perpetually rant, rave and otherwise troll every letter from an Elder, claiming that she has "removed them from office".

Unfortunately for everyone on the full members channel I suspect she'll go with 3, though I suppose 2 is an option once she gets bored.

People can put her on ignore, which could take care of option 3.

Other than that, the Elders can't remove from her the options to stir the peasants or auto da fe. However, doesn't that make sense? If someone comes in an illiterate village dressed as a SA priest and speak of the Bloodstars in a semi-cogent fashion, the peasants will just assume she's the real thing.

Realms can order her arrest. You can arrest all priests of realms you are at war with, even if they are of your own religion. Her own realm could ban her if they were so inclined (I don't think they are, but that's valid IC play).

I agree that a mechanism to boot a priest would be nice to have. However the situation is not so hopeless right now. There are things that all sides can do, if they're willing to do it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Arresting her in SA regions could be very difficult. The peasants will protect her. Even if they fail, it will likely cause demonstrations in multiple regions, dropping region stats. It's probably not worth trying.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
People can put her on ignore, which could take care of option 3.

Other than that, the Elders can't remove from her the options to stir the peasants or auto da fe. However, doesn't that make sense? If someone comes in an illiterate village dressed as a SA priest and speak of the Bloodstars in a semi-cogent fashion, the peasants will just assume she's the real thing.

Realms can order her arrest. You can arrest all priests of realms you are at war with, even if they are of your own religion. Her own realm could ban her if they were so inclined (I don't think they are, but that's valid IC play).

I agree that a mechanism to boot a priest would be nice to have. However the situation is not so hopeless right now. There are things that all sides can do, if they're willing to do it.

I don't think her stirring up the peasants is really a problem. I'm pretty sure the most powerful stuff is Elder only and even if she can perform stuff like auto de fes, they can only be declared against non-SA members which limits their usefulness. The rest of the priest abilities, like stir unrest and badmouth realm, are so under powered that I doubt she'll even be noticed if there is not a priest nearby.

As for arresting- the only way that's going to be anything more than an inconvenience is if she's banned and executed, and the game is quite rightly designed so that that can't happen to you unless you deliberately take pretty silly risks.

I do think the whole can't excommunicate a priest thing is stupid, mainly for rp reasons, but the non-Elder priest game is so under powered that I don't think its game breaking.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

The lands have nothing to do with it. Stab a noble from X realm in Y realm's lands, and if you are caught in the act, you'll go to X realm's dungeons. You'll only go in Y realm's dungeons if caught in travels by patrols.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron