Author Topic: Elections and the New Character Creation Process  (Read 8209 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Best realms to join on June 2013
« Reply #30: June 30, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
No offence, but it doesn't exactly seem like the best idea to have ruler with no power, when only the people in your realm know he has no power. Its seems like its part of the reason Terran got !@#$ed over. (Kas and the daimons for instance) I had no idea Hireshemont was running Terran's diplomacy after he was no longer Chief Magistrate and I am a lord within the 'moot so I don't know how somebody outside the 'moot would have any idea they should be talking with Hireshemont and not Terran's ruler. (It makes no sense btw, if Hireshemont was going to be the ruler of Terran regardless of if he had the position and you all accepted/wanted that, then you should have just stopped electing Chief Magistrate quarterly and kept Hireshemont as Chief Magistrate)

Yeah, man. That's kinda why I said "The real problem with Terran..."

Also, it wasn't necessarily a purposeful thing. It was just happened that way. After Hireshmont gave up the Chief Magistracy his many connections and positions, and the fact that he was a very active, just meant that he was de facto the voice of Terran abroad and no succeeding Chief Magistrate had much hope of being able to bring that much diplomatic clout to the table.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: July 01, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
Also, it wasn't necessarily a purposeful thing. It was just happened that way. After Hireshmont gave up the Chief Magistracy his many connections and positions, and the fact that he was a very active, just meant that he was de facto the voice of Terran abroad and no succeeding Chief Magistrate had much hope of being able to bring that much diplomatic clout to the table.

It was not at all intentional.

Hireshmont actually, every new ruler, would give them briefings on every other ruler, their personal history, who he knew in those realms, what past deals/relationships had been struck, etc, etc. And he would actively help the various rulers with their pet projects (they all had some).

He also tried to get them all to convert to Astroism so they could be something other than diplomatic non-entities. Most didn't take him up on that offer (though Kas did: and he's done rather better than the other Chief Magistrates).

Hireshmont would have been happy to stay ruler for a long time, but after various internal squabbles (re: Erasmus), that wasn't possible with Terran's internal politics. So he went for the next best option: try to train a successor. Nobody was quite up to it except for people who didn't want it. And the folks he did train well (most promising was a fantastic noble called Fyodor van Kaya, then there was Alura too) for various OOG reasons didn't mostly stick around.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
I've split this topic off into a new thread.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 01, 2013, 06:55:13 AM »
then there was Alura too)

Alura.

Man was that guy chatty.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: July 01, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
Alura.

Man was that guy chatty.
Yeah I forget what happened but he said he was coming back when I e-mailed him, but unfortunately hasn't yet.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton