Author Topic: Geographically Split Realms  (Read 3946 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Geographically Split Realms
« Topic Start: June 29, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
So, my realm on Atamara (Silnaria) has been split in half for the past 3 weeks because when I seceded, my duchy was on two sides of the realm. Due to military positioning of other troops, we can't reunited our realm, so three regions are in the middle of the land claims of my realm, and I can't take them. Most of our army is isolated in a city that isn't our capital with enemy troops blocking us from retreating to our capital or moving at all simply because our capital is in the other half of the realm.

I was wondering if there have been any other instances of realms existing for any sort of extended period in two halves, and what the circumstances around it were. Mainly, I see this as a very interesting occasion because there are a lot of things which I didn't expect could be a downside due to the way in which you have to maneuver when half of your realm is one place, and the other half is in another place.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Geographically Split Realms
« Reply #1: June 29, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
I was going to try to it in Phantaria if we had been able to take over Chesney while Terran existed in the middle.

Also, D'Hara might have experience with this. Their realms is separated by water, not land, but same concept.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 29, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
I was going to try to it in Phantaria if we had been able to take over Chesney while Terran existed in the middle.

Also, D'Hara might have experience with this. Their realms is separated by water, not land, but same concept.

I think regions have to be touching your realm to take them over. That's why I was a bit worried with the concept of taking over Chesland and Chesney, because I assumed we'd need Gretchew first. Don't count me on that, though. And as for D'Hara, I believe sea connections count as touching. Don't count me on that either.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 29, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
Any realm that has a region with a coastline can TO any other region that has a coastline. On testing islands, that is.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 29, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
I can't think of any realms being split in half in recent times. Back before the Big Update, when food had to physically move through regions, it was a legitimate tactic to cut a realm in half to starve some of the regions. I think that happened a few times to Fontan during the Sirion/Sultanate/Fontan war and they managed to hold the realm together to an extent. But I might be remembering it wrong since it was a few years ago now.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 29, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
Past instances of split realms (mostly pre-sea travel) may include (memory too foggy to be authoritative) Springdale, Libero Empire, Sartania, Fontan, Riombara, Republic of Fwuvoghor, Carelia.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 29, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
I was wondering if there have been any other instances of realms existing for any sort of extended period in two halves, and what the circumstances around it were.
Russia, Malaysia, New Zealand, France... Thats just now. Probably dozens in the Middle Ages.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 29, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
Especially in the german HRE sphere.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 29, 2013, 06:07:56 PM »
Russia, Malaysia, New Zealand, France... Thats just now. Probably dozens in the Middle Ages.
You forgot an obvious one.
Alaska.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 29, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
Belgium has a little island of land in the middle of the Netherlands  :P

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 29, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
I think regions have to be touching your realm to take them over. That's why I was a bit worried with the concept of taking over Chesland and Chesney, because I assumed we'd need Gretchew first. Don't count me on that, though. And as for D'Hara, I believe sea connections count as touching. Don't count me on that either.

Any realm that has a region with a coastline can TO any other region that has a coastline. On testing islands, that is.

Indeed. Vashgew has coast and Chesland has coast so it wouldn't be any different than taking over a piece of land across the ocean or something. And once we had Chesland we could take Chesney.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 30, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
Indeed. Vashgew has coast and Chesland has coast so it wouldn't be any different than taking over a piece of land across the ocean or something. And once we had Chesland we could take Chesney.

Oh. I was not aware. I admittedly have absolutely zero experience with the Dwilight sea mechanics.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 30, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »
Oh. I was not aware. I admittedly have absolutely zero experience with the Dwilight sea mechanics.

They're pretty new... so no worries.  :)