Author Topic: Messages and Metagaming  (Read 20727 times)

Eirikr

Messages and Metagaming
« Topic Start: July 01, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »
Something has been bothering me for a while: Is it considered metagaming if you view messages as real or fake depending on their game mechanic format?

Let me clarify a few things in that very complex question:
  • "Metagaming" is, essentially, using OOC information to make IC choices.
  • By "game mechanic format", I mean anything ranging from scribe note links to manually copied and pasted letters. This includes other code-forced information, such as assassination attempt notices.
  • The very nature of the game is to promote roleplaying, however, it seems to be a common thought that game mechanics trump roleplaying.
  • Regardless of the consensus, I am certain that this is essentially impossible to change. Therefore, I'm just looking to ease my own mind.

Now let me provide an example of what I mean:
Report from Kepler   (8 minutes ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (10 recipients)

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts!

Kepler
Knight of Keplaria

star  [reply to sender] | [ignore] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

If someone copies this to you, as is, would you take it as real without a thought (pretend it has some controversial content)? Of course, someone could have altered it in the copy and paste, but the format makes it look like someone was too lazy to do that.

Another example:
Report from Kepler   (8 minutes ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (10 recipients)

Scribe Note  Scout Report (Keplerstan)

Kepler
Knight of Keplaria

star  [reply to sender] | [ignore] | [userdetails] | [vulgarity]

Assuming there's a link to an actual scribe note in there, is there anything besides the format and forced results of game mechanics that make your character believe it's true?

My point is this: We, as players, know that certain sources are reliable and can only occur via certain means provided in the game. Sometimes, it's due to the format. Other times, it's due to the knowledge that the information simply can't be forged. (Hence why I don't have a fake scribe note to link to. ;) ) When is it unreasonable to argue that a piece of information is fake? Alternately, would your character ever accept a roleplay that tries to establish a game mechanically created piece of information fake? What makes your character so confident in their opinon?