Author Topic: Dwilight University's Newspaper Revival Project  (Read 5599 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
The Dwilight University's Department of History has begun a new initiative: the Newspaper Revival Project!

Dean of History Bowie Ironsides has spearheaded an effort to revive the once vibrant culture and interest in newspapers on Dwilight.

The Newspaper Revival Project has taken the form of the establishment of two primary, sister newspapers:

*The Toprak Times!
*The Occidental Observer!

The two papers have their own staffs and will focus specifically on their respective region of Dwilight. They will release news articles on a (hopefully) seasonal basis and the articles will cover a variety of topics from War News, Diplomacy, Arts & Culture, and the Aristocracy.

Contributors and volunteers are needed to help keep these newspapers going! Anyone who would like to contribute in any way big or small should contact either Bowie Ironsides or Kale Perth.

PS. Also worth noting, though not specifically affiliated with this project, is another recently established paper In The Folds which is an Asylonian based paper covering Asylonian news.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Yay! We can even use the forum here to share information and stories. Unfortunately, not everyone on Dwilight is a member of DwiU  >:(
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Thanks for the commenting on my topic.

The other 65 people who viewed it didn't.  >:(
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm in... it sounds interesting.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I've thought of working on a paper again but it was a lot of effort for little reward...

Updating the dwilight timeline is probably the most I can keep up with. Would be nice if the world news included more things like it used to.  >:(

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Meh, I really got burned out on IC newspapers. Too much blatant, unoriginal propaganda. I still skim them every now and then, but I don't think any have actually had anything that attracted my attention in a long time.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Meh, I really got burned out on IC newspapers. Too much blatant, unoriginal propaganda.

Yeah, good thing we don't have that here on the forums.  ;)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I try to ignore it here, too.

Thing is, it's worse in a newspaper format. In the forum, you can at least provide your own viewpoint of the same topic. In newspapers, you generally can't. And even if you do have a paper that allows you to voice your opinion (as I tried to do with the open-to-all Dwilight Daily) it's a lot more work to write a newspaper article than to respond to the forums. Also, newspapers, as IC instruments, tend to require you to at least make an effort to do it from an IC standpoint, as opposed to the forums where you can just make quick, off-the-cuff rebuttals.

Maybe it's just me, though. I seem to see most "newspapers" these days as no different than post-battle trash talking. It seldom bears any resemblance to reality, and is just about as repetitive and unoriginal. "Realm X is a bunch of cowards, look how they run before our righteous might! We're the courageous righters-of-wrongs, they're the evil/corrupt/greedy/imperialistic dogs. etc." Been there. Done that. You can probably recycle almost any newspaper that's ever been done, and just change the realm names.

Now, what would really get my attention in a newspaper is one that avoids publishing the standard propaganda and yellow journalism, and actually makes an attempt to post unbiased, in-depth analysis of events.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I try to ignore it here, too.

Thing is, it's worse in a newspaper format. In the forum, you can at least provide your own viewpoint of the same topic. In newspapers, you generally can't. And even if you do have a paper that allows you to voice your opinion (as I tried to do with the open-to-all Dwilight Daily) it's a lot more work to write a newspaper article than to respond to the forums. Also, newspapers, as IC instruments, tend to require you to at least make an effort to do it from an IC standpoint, as opposed to the forums where you can just make quick, off-the-cuff rebuttals.

Maybe it's just me, though. I seem to see most "newspapers" these days as no different than post-battle trash talking. It seldom bears any resemblance to reality, and is just about as repetitive and unoriginal. "Realm X is a bunch of cowards, look how they run before our righteous might! We're the courageous righters-of-wrongs, they're the evil/corrupt/greedy/imperialistic dogs. etc." Been there. Done that. You can probably recycle almost any newspaper that's ever been done, and just change the realm names.

I can understand that. And I was mostly just joshing you.

Now, what would really get my attention in a newspaper is one that avoids publishing the standard propaganda and yellow journalism, and actually makes an attempt to post unbiased, in-depth analysis of events.

I would really enjoy this as well. However, it pretty much requires the writer(s) of the newspaper to write not from the perspective of their characters (at least, if their characters have any kind of significant position or influence). Which would be okay. I mean the whole idea of a newspaper, or running a newspaper, isn't very SMA to begin with. And my character as a medieval Noble undoubtedly would have little interest in such a thing, and as such a do suspend my character's personality quite a bit when I do newspapers.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I quite like the idea, I've been meaning to join the DwiU and pestering Vita to go and sign up already.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

I've been really busy lately and I wish I had more time to put into the newspapers. And what's worse is that major the war in Toprak (Morek v Luria) fizzled to peace. I want to report on what's going on Morek v Libero, but I need to do more leg work to contact people there. I should, and hopefully will soon, but I can't guarantee it. That makes me sad :(
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Indeed, my 10 day absence put a hamper on my efforts and I have been traveling/moving since I got back from that. I should be settled down for starting this week and will try to get things more officially going with the OO.