Author Topic: Rules and Policies  (Read 5121 times)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Rules and Policies
« Topic Start: June 07, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »
We were talking at IRC about clanning, and I think Tim said it nicely, so maybe we could put this at Rules and Policies page.

The reason we ware talking about is that Wolfang is calling some friends to play with him and some people are saying he is clanning. (Is clanning a a word?)
So, I believe we need to have something more specific about clans at wiki.

Below is what Tim said if someone can or want to put it at wiki.

Basically, the general idea with "clans" and similar social structures is this:
- If it is entirely based on IC criteria, then it's fine.
- If it is based on OOC criteria, and you use its single-mindedness to effectively control a realm, religion, or other in-game structure, that's emphatically not fine.
- If it is based on OOC criteria, and you form a group too small to control the realm you're in, but still exclude anyone not in your OOC circle and attempt to push an agenda shared by your group, that's still not fine.
- There is no problem with *playing with friends*, whether those friends were made in the game or outside, but you *must not* deliberately attempt to play with *only* those friends, especially in ways that exclude others or ruin others' fun.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Rules and Policies
« Reply #1: June 07, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
It is done. I'm in the progress of revamping this page and the Titans/Magistrates page over time, including better integration with Magistrate verdicts. So, if anyone has suggestions for these pages, feel free to share them either here or on their respective talk pages.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 07, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
I actually just put that up on a subpage of my user page, and asked Indirik to put it on the Rules and Policies page for me. :)

And indeed, I do think it's a good thing to have easily accessible.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: June 07, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »
Actually, I do think the last rule is the only one we need and we already have it (it's in the FAQ).

Friends are OK.
Excluding people who aren't your real-life friends isn't.

Do we really need more than that?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 07, 2013, 07:47:58 PM »
Actually, I do think the last rule is the only one we need and we already have it (it's in the FAQ).

Friends are OK.
Excluding people who aren't your real-life friends isn't.

Do we really need more than that?

I really think we do.

As long as we make it clear that these aren't "additional rules" for people to find loopholes in or something like that, but rather clarifications of the simple policy on clanning (what you've just stated above), I think it's very helpful to have a little extra explanation so that people who are intending to do something that we would see as clanning can look at it and better understand that they shouldn't do it—and, perhaps more importantly, so that people who are not doing or intending anything of the kind can look at it and have confirmation that they are not breaking the rules. I have seen people accused of clanning before for perfectly innocuous behaviour, and I believe that this type of clarification can help a great deal in case like that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 07, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
When I said at IRC that clanning is not forbidden, Atanamir a old player, answered as he didn't know that.
So, yes, I think we need it or at list a evident link to some place who have it.

FAQ and HELP pages are good, but frequently I can't find what I am looking for trough search and end up finding it after a lot of manual search.

I think we should try to link more manuals with FAQ and HELP pages.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."