BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Terran-D\'Hara Realm Merger

<< < (5/24) > >>

Indirik:
The fact that Terran was at war, and on the verge of destruction, is what makes this NOT a friendly merger. It is a couple lords fleeing a dying realm to join a third party. If you want to deny that, then what you are doing is declaring that lords are no longer allowed to leave a dying realm, that they are forced to stick it out until the end.

A friendly merger would be two realms, in the absence of any external pressure, joining together as equals to make one larger realm. That is definitely not the case here. The fragments of the realm that used to be Terran are being absorbed by D'Hara in order to escape a losing war they cannot possibly win.

Stabbity:
I'm in agreement with Delvin on this. Talks took place between two rulers with peaceful relations, and the result of this was an attempted realm merger. Peaceful actions don't need everyone in the world to be peaceful with them. If you're playing a game with friends, and someone starts to lose and says "screw you, I'm giving all my pieces to Kepler", its not a very friendly thing to be doing. Allowing this to happen would set a dangerous precedent of behavior where every time someone fights a war, random neutral party X gets all the spoils. I just don't see it as being conducive to good game play.

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Velax on July 06, 2013, 05:35:33 PM ---What is the intent of the rule? What anti-fun behaviour is it intended to prevent?

--- End quote ---

My understanding of the realm merger rule is that it is intended to prevent a king from voluntarily giving up not only his kingship but his domain, which is not something a King should do.

(This applies equally to other titles of ruler.)

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Indirik on July 06, 2013, 06:06:53 PM ---The fact that Terran was at war, and on the verge of destruction, is what makes this NOT a friendly merger. It is a couple lords fleeing a dying realm to join a third party. If you want to deny that, then what you are doing is declaring that lords are no longer allowed to leave a dying realm, that they are forced to stick it out until the end.

--- End quote ---

That is not even a little bit true.

They are welcome to leave the dying realm. They do not, however, have any particular right to keep their regions.

--- Quote ---A friendly merger would be two realms, in the absence of any external pressure, joining together as equals to make one larger realm. That is definitely not the case here. The fragments of the realm that used to be Terran are being absorbed by D'Hara in order to escape a losing war they cannot possibly win.

--- End quote ---

Terran is merging with a realm they are friendly with.

vonGenf:

--- Quote from: Stabbity on July 06, 2013, 06:18:06 PM ---If you're playing a game with friends, and someone starts to lose and says "screw you, I'm giving all my pieces to Kepler", its not a very friendly thing to be doing.

--- End quote ---

This would have a link to reality if, for example, dustole was leaving the game. He is not as far as I know. He is embroiled in a multi-realm war and trying as he can to achieve his objectives. The survival of Terran not being on the plate anymore, he tried to spend what he has at a discount to have something to keep fighting with. It's not friendly to his enemies, sure, which is kind of the point. It is perfectly friendly on an OOC level.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version