BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Terran-D\'Hara Realm Merger

<< < (2/24) > >>

Chenier:

--- Quote from: Vellos on July 06, 2013, 02:45:11 AM ---It's tricky from the perspective of the individual lords; the line between "region changing sides" and "realm changing sides" gets hard in very small realms.

At the same time, this seems pretty cut and dry. This is clearly a collaboration between Alaster and Pierre to merge the whole realm in in a friendly fashion.

--- End quote ---

Total eradication is friendly?

This isn't like when Luria Nova absorbed the other Lurian realms, to basically continue the Lurian Empire thing they had going, leaving everyone with their prestige and titles. D'Hara is not friendly to Terran. D'Hara doesn't want to preserve or honor Terran. And Alaster doesn't get to keep anything out of it. Honestly, I'm not even sure he'd be allowed to stay in D'Hara even if he tried. He's basically sabotaging his own realm, alone. It also isn't as if the realm is viable: he's not chosing to destroy what could have survived as an independant realm, he's simply chosing the conqueror he prefers. Remember:

--- Quote ---Realm mergers are illegal. Realms may surrender to another, including annihilation of their lands, but they may not merge as equal entities on friendly terms.
--- End quote ---

This is, in my eyes, a clear surrender, not a merger. They do not merge as even remotely equal entities. Alaster did try to get a bunch of concessions from D'Hara at first, but was plainly told that would not happen. And the Kabrinski family are hardly friends to D'Hara.

Anaris:
Were Terran and D'Hara at war before this?

Because if not, I think that the "surrender" argument is on shaky ground.

I think it's also appropriate to point out that despite their being Magistrates, Vellos and Chénier are both directly involved in this case, and thus can only speak as well-informed players.

Chenier:

--- Quote from: Anaris on July 06, 2013, 03:23:07 AM ---Were Terran and D'Hara at war before this?

Because if not, I think that the "surrender" argument is on shaky ground.

I think it's also appropriate to point out that despite their being Magistrates, Vellos and Chénier are both directly involved in this case, and thus can only speak as well-informed players.

--- End quote ---

They weren't at war, perhaps not, but their official diplomatic relations are a relic of the past. Neither Barca nor D'Hara could have expelled Terran without going through a war period with each other, and both realms had other priorities. That does not mean they were friendly, however, or that they planned on a long period of good neighboring.

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Chénier on July 06, 2013, 03:30:21 AM ---They weren't at war, perhaps not, but their official diplomatic relations are a relic of the past. Neither Barca nor D'Hara could have expelled Terran without going through a war period with each other, and both realms had other priorities. That does not mean they were friendly, however, or that they planned on a long period of good neighboring.

--- End quote ---

If there was no real danger of being destroyed by D'Hara, then this cannot meaningfully count as a surrender.

That exception was written into the realm merger rule to permit a realm that has clearly lost an ongoing war to surrender before the foe that has defeated them, not to allow realms that aren't on the best of terms to have one give all its regions to the other just so the smaller can avoid being destroyed by a foe they dislike more.

Anaris:
Just to add something more: I have heard that there have been at least casual discussions of how D'Hara will re-found Terran out of these lands once the war is over and the brouhaha has died down.

If possible, I would like to see evidence of this. If not, I would like to see some firm denials from people who would know.

However, I would note that casual discussion of such a topic may not end up being viewed as evidence of further intent to break the realm merger rule; it may simply help clarify what is going on here. Much depends on the specifics, which is why I would like to see the messages in question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version