Author Topic: APPROVED: Feature Request: Takeovers preventing realm change  (Read 3737 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Title: Takeovers should prevent region allegiance change

Summary: If realm A is in the middle of a takeover of region X of realm B, current rules allow the region lord of X to change allegiance to realm C in order to stop the takeover of the region by realm A. I propose this situation be prevented by game mechanics going forward.

Details: Realm A is at war with realm B, but at neutral, peace, or higher relations with realm C. If region X changes allegiance to realm C, the takeover is no longer possible to be continued because there is no status of war. This doesn't make any sense either from a real-life standpoint or a game "playability" stand point. If a region lord is having his region forcibly taken over, and enemy troops currently occupy the region, by what authority does he even transfer the region control to another realm? He certainly wouldn't have the ability to change the banners of the region, convince the people of the change, or anything else while enemy troops are in the middle of a takeover and no friendly troops are present.

The current game mechanics are such that while the takeover doesn't immediately "stop", it is 100% impossible to carry out any further takeover actions. Thereby meaning that the takeover is ended if the region is transferred to a realm that isn't at war with the realm doing the takeover. This allows a lord to retain a lordship that he would not have been able to retain any other method.

Benefits: I believe that the primary benefit comes from preventing from what seems to me to be an unrealistic use, and borderline abuse of the ability for a lord to change the region his realm is in. Any region being taken over is no longer under the control of the region lord. Many other actions are denied to the region lord to be able to perform, and yet he is still able to fully change region allegiance without any military influence. It will also actually give some more strength and meaning to what a takeover is. Just as troops/militia can prevent the revolt of a region, they should be able to prevent the allegiance change of a region.

This would also make the game mechanics align closer to common sense.

Possible Exploits: The only exploit I can think of is the beginning of many takeovers at once throughout a realm to prevent any allegiance changes. However, such would require massive amounts of troops, and in truth, it seems like a viable military tactic to me instead of a real abuse.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:30:14 PM by egamma »
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."