Author Topic: Tournaments, Pt. 4: Allow for More than Just Cash Prizes  (Read 2903 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Title: Tournaments, Pt. 4: Allow for More than Just Cash Prizes

Summary:

Allow items to be put up as part of the grand prize in addition to the cash prizes already awarded for the winner of the melee and joust.

Details:

- in addition to cash prizes, allow for items (weapons, armor, scrolls, jewelry) to be put up as additional grand prizes
- this will not replace cash prizes, but be in addition to cash prizes
- this will only pertain to the grand prize of a each part of the tournament, not to second or third place
- customizable: you decide which part of the tournament (joust or melee, if applicable) the additional grand prize goes to, so you could have unique weapons AND gold paid out to the winner of the joust, while the melee winner only gets cash, or vice versa, or have a sword as a grand prize in the melee, and armor or a lance in the joust.
- item has to be in the possession of the one hosting the tournament
- item damage freezes during the tournament, but does not reset - if a helmet is offered at 32%, it goes to the victor at 32%.

Benefits:

- allows for more meaningful victories in tournaments; instead of just getting a cash payout, you could acquire weapons or armor that would display later in battles, etc., and have a history behind them beside just "I paid some peasant for it."

Possible Exploits:

- none

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I can see a case to be made for giving out unique items as tournament prizes; however, anything beyond that can simply be handled through RP.

Item damage would certainly not be "frozen." That is too exploitable.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
This would definitely be a nice addition to tournaments.

What would be really cool is if the ruler promised to give away the Super Sword of Superduperness, but before he could giver it to the winner, he lost it! Imagine the embarrassment, and subsequent honor/prestige loss, if the promised prize couldn't be delivered. :p
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
I can see a case to be made for giving out unique items as tournament prizes; however, anything beyond that can simply be handled through RP.

Item damage would certainly not be "frozen." That is too exploitable.

With the expenses involved in hosting a tournament and the inability to host two tournaments in a row, I sincerely doubt the item damage freeze is exploitable.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Regardless of its exploitability, preventing item damage would be additional coding work over just the implementation itself. I don't see the necessity of item freeze. Items generally don't lose a lot of value unless its an older item thats been repaired a lot.

If you're hosting a tournament, its simple: don't give away an item that has 10% condition or one that's 60% condition that loses 10% every day. Otherwise, nobles will call you out on being a crappy tournament host.

egamma

With the expenses involved in hosting a tournament and the inability to host two tournaments in a row, I sincerely doubt the item damage freeze is exploitable.

All you need is two cities and your realm can basically host tournaments continually.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I believe that the restriction on repeat tournaments is realm-based, isn't it? It's not something I think I've ever run into before.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

Hmm, perhaps you are right.

Zakilevo

I believe that the restriction on repeat tournaments is realm-based, isn't it? It's not something I think I've ever run into before.

It is.