Author Topic: APPROVED: Feature Request: Takeovers preventing realm change  (Read 3670 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Title: Takeovers should prevent region allegiance change

Summary: If realm A is in the middle of a takeover of region X of realm B, current rules allow the region lord of X to change allegiance to realm C in order to stop the takeover of the region by realm A. I propose this situation be prevented by game mechanics going forward.

Details: Realm A is at war with realm B, but at neutral, peace, or higher relations with realm C. If region X changes allegiance to realm C, the takeover is no longer possible to be continued because there is no status of war. This doesn't make any sense either from a real-life standpoint or a game "playability" stand point. If a region lord is having his region forcibly taken over, and enemy troops currently occupy the region, by what authority does he even transfer the region control to another realm? He certainly wouldn't have the ability to change the banners of the region, convince the people of the change, or anything else while enemy troops are in the middle of a takeover and no friendly troops are present.

The current game mechanics are such that while the takeover doesn't immediately "stop", it is 100% impossible to carry out any further takeover actions. Thereby meaning that the takeover is ended if the region is transferred to a realm that isn't at war with the realm doing the takeover. This allows a lord to retain a lordship that he would not have been able to retain any other method.

Benefits: I believe that the primary benefit comes from preventing from what seems to me to be an unrealistic use, and borderline abuse of the ability for a lord to change the region his realm is in. Any region being taken over is no longer under the control of the region lord. Many other actions are denied to the region lord to be able to perform, and yet he is still able to fully change region allegiance without any military influence. It will also actually give some more strength and meaning to what a takeover is. Just as troops/militia can prevent the revolt of a region, they should be able to prevent the allegiance change of a region.

This would also make the game mechanics align closer to common sense.

Possible Exploits: The only exploit I can think of is the beginning of many takeovers at once throughout a realm to prevent any allegiance changes. However, such would require massive amounts of troops, and in truth, it seems like a viable military tactic to me instead of a real abuse.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:30:14 PM by egamma »
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I don't see why this should be implemented. If a takeover is running, that means the invader doesn't control the region yet. If the Lord is still in power he should have all available options, including an allegiance change.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
This is one of several problems relating to control in the sense of 'this region is occupied by a large number of our guys' versus long-term control in the sense that the bureaucrats, minor nobility, and tax collectors now answer to realm B instead of realm A.

The former is achievable by winning a battle and clearing out enough of the enemy. If you are in a position to begin a takeover, you 'control' the region - certainly you control it more than the local lord whose garrison was just defeated.

The idea that five hundred troops could spend a week working on the local infrastructure and other takeover activities and then suddenly the local lord who hasn't been in power for that whole week can up and convert everything to another realm and single-handedly un-do the work of the armed soldiers occupying his region is pretty absurd.

Just because realm B doesn't yet fully control a region does not mean that realm A still does control it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This used to be the case. It was always somewhat buggy, and was lost at some point along the way.

The lord of a region under TO should only be able to change allegiance to the realm running the TO.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
The lord of a region under TO should only be able to change allegiance to the realm running the TO.

This would be the ideal, I just assumed it would be harder to code.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Eirikr

I don't see why this should be implemented. If a takeover is running, that means the invader doesn't control the region yet. If the Lord is still in power he should have all available options, including an allegiance change.

Though the request has already been answered, I want to point out that some actions are already unavailable. I don't think you can hold court, even, but I could be mistaken.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I think the idea is good but perhaps should require a certain percentage of the takeover to be done so that new takeovers that haven't even done anything yet aren't stopping a lord.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile

Heros cant even stop to tell their tales if the region is being TO'ed because the population is in hiding and/or resisting the TO. If you can't tell a bunch of peasants some stories how do you gather up all the regional officials and convince them of the allegiance change, enforce relevant law changes, change banners, etc, etc.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I actually like it the way it is.  It creates more interaction.  It forces the third realm to do something.  Even if all it does is ban the lord and allow the region to go rogue, it still is forced to enter into the situation.  It is essentially the one realm going to the other for help.  If the new realm decides they want to keep the region, then war will break out with them too.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I actually like it the way it is.  It creates more interaction.  It forces the third realm to do something.  Even if all it does is ban the lord and allow the region to go rogue, it still is forced to enter into the situation.  It is essentially the one realm going to the other for help.  If the new realm decides they want to keep the region, then war will break out with them too.

Like it or not, it is not intended to be this way, and will be changed, once I have the time to get to it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
You can now only join the realm that is TOing your region. The TOing realm must be doing actions to TO the region however, not just starting a takeover. You will not be banned unless you were simultaneously in a rebellion that failed or is still ongoing. Knights shouldn't follow if they're already banned from the realm you join (previously, they did - a bug). These changes have been live for a few weeks now.