Author Topic: Unit and Command Staff Settings  (Read 2496 times)

Celestine

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Unit and Command Staff Settings
« Topic Start: April 18, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
How do individual unit settings affect command staff settings?  Say you want to deploy in the 'delay and wound' formation, does it matter what individual TLs have their units set as?  Or does all that become irrelevant when a marshal takes control of an army?

What about weaken and charge? Or they shall not pass?  Or attacking in waves?

My character just received his first marshal position and id prefer not to learn through trial and error!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Unit and Command Staff Settings
« Reply #1: April 18, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
Marshal settings override unit line settings, and the more advanced Marshal formations can override unit retreat settings and formation settings (box/line/wedge/etc).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 19, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
Marshal settings will usually take precedence over individual unit settings. There are a couple times this won't happen, though:

1) The Marshal is wounded or otherwise not present in the battle, and the Vice Marshal is also not present or able to take command. (Wounded, imprisoned, not present in the region, successfully evading battle, etc.)

2) The marshal for some reason does not take command. I am not sure this still happens. It used to be the case that sometimes a marshal just wouldn't take command. I don't think it was a bug.

3) Sometimes heroes will ignore marshal settings and use their own individual settings.

So even if you plan on using marshal settings for battles, make sure that you also give line settings to your nobles.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #3: April 20, 2011, 02:50:36 AM »
2) The marshal for some reason does not take command. I am not sure this still happens. It used to be the case that sometimes a marshal just wouldn't take command. I don't think it was a bug.

I had this happen to me--VERY annoying. I think it was based on honor or leadership or something.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 20, 2011, 03:36:53 AM »

Used to be that you had to have a high enough leadership to take command of that many troops.  I don't think that happens any more.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"