Author Topic: Hatred diplomacy state  (Read 6973 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Hatred diplomacy state
« Topic Start: July 11, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
Has it been suggested in the past regarding a "Total War" kind of option or declaration - as in war until destruction rather than surrender? I wouldn't want to draft a feature request if it's been rejected before or if it's unworkable in the eyes of the devs.

One can declare hatred, when in war. The war will continue until one of the realms is destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:58:09 AM by Velax »

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
One can declare hatred, when in war. The war will continue until one of the realms is destroyed.

I don't think this is true... I believe you can declare peace with such a realm, but there will be negative repercussions in your regions. I may not have that right though. It's been a while since I saw anyone try it.

Eirikr

I don't think this is true... I believe you can declare peace with such a realm, but there will be negative repercussions in your regions. I may not have that right though. It's been a while since I saw anyone try it.

You are correct. Late in the Hammarsett war, I found out that the game mechanics allow you to take back Hatred at severe cost to region stats. I believe you move to plain War, though, not peace.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Hatred is the only one-sided relationship in the game. It is possible for A to hate B, but B to not hate A. All other relationships are two-way. i.e., you cannot be at War with a realm that is not at War with you. But you *can* Hate a realm that does nto Hate you.

Once you have declared Hatred toward a realm, you can no longer change the relations from your side. The only way to get get out of Hatred is to let the *other* realm propose to change it. If *both* sides declare Hatred, then it can never be changed. Both realms are locked in Hatred for the rest of their existence.

Edit: Sorry for the tangent...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

Hatred is the only one-sided relationship in the game. It is possible for A to hate B, but B to not hate A. All other relationships are two-way. i.e., you cannot be at War with a realm that is not at War with you. But you *can* Hate a realm that does nto Hate you.

Once you have declared Hatred toward a realm, you can no longer change the relations from your side. The only way to get get out of Hatred is to let the *other* realm propose to change it. If *both* sides declare Hatred, then it can never be changed. Both realms are locked in Hatred for the rest of their existence.

If this is the case, then I'm confused. The decision was clearly mine to make when I was Consul. Besides, what option (talking game mechanics links, here) would that fall under? For your own diplomacy, you're at war; you can descend into hatred or upgrade to peace. Though, I would expect an error message for peace.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
If this is the case, then I'm confused. The decision was clearly mine to make when I was Consul. Besides, what option (talking game mechanics links, here) would that fall under? For your own diplomacy, you're at war; you can descend into hatred or upgrade to peace. Though, I would expect an error message for peace.

Most likely you had received an offer to exit it from Hammarsett's ruler.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Are you sure about that? Has hatred changed in the last few years? Used to be that although hatred was one-sided, it was possible to restore more reasonable relations again later on. You could unilaterally end your hatred of another realm, but there would be significant penalties across your own realm for doing so. Something to do with how you've previously denounced those people as less than human, devil incarnate etcetera and the common people aren't about to just forget about all that at the click of your fingers. It would only bump you back up to war status as well. To actually end the war you would need the opposing realm to overlook all that to join you at the peace table.

Eirikr

Are you sure about that? Has hatred changed in the last few years? Used to be that although hatred was one-sided, it was possible to restore more reasonable relations again later on. You could unilaterally end your hatred of another realm, but there would be significant penalties across your own realm for doing so. Something to do with how you've previously denounced those people as less than human, devil incarnate etcetera and the common people aren't about to just forget about all that at the click of your fingers. It would only bump you back up to war status as well. To actually end the war you would need the opposing realm to overlook all that to join you at the peace table.

This is very very very similar to what I remember seeing. /end tangent

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
You are correct. Late in the Hammarsett war, I found out that the game mechanics allow you to take back Hatred at severe cost to region stats. I believe you move to plain War, though, not peace.

The effects didn't seem that dramatic when I turned back from hatred... Less dramatic then what my character advertized, at least.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Are you sure about that? Has hatred changed in the last few years? Used to be that although hatred was one-sided, it was possible to restore more reasonable relations again later on. You could unilaterally end your hatred of another realm, but there would be significant penalties across your own realm for doing so. Something to do with how you've previously denounced those people as less than human, devil incarnate etcetera and the common people aren't about to just forget about all that at the click of your fingers. It would only bump you back up to war status as well.
I don't believe that was ever the case. Once Hatred was declared, the declaring realm could NOT end the war. There was simply no option to declare a cease fire with the Hated realm. That's the whole point of declaring Hatred: You force the realm to fight the war to the end. It's "you go or I go" situation. The only way out of a Hatred declaration was to get the other realm to propose a cease fire. The realm that declared the Hatred could then accept the proposed cease-fire, resulting in the region stat hits, but ending the war.

If it operated in some other manner, then it is almost certainly a bug. Seeing as how Hatred is so rarely used, and that most of the realms that declare a Hatred usually end up getting destroyed, this feature doesn't get a lot in in-use testing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred diplomacy state
« Reply #10: July 12, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
Is there any advantage to declaring Hatred, or is it just RP?

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 12, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »

Under the old systems, regions were harder to takeover

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 12, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
I believe that, as Indirik said, if both warring parties declare Hatred, it becomes permanent.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 12, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
I believe that, as Indirik said, if both warring parties declare Hatred, it becomes permanent.

There's an impact at the region level. Sympathy for a realm you're at hatred with will drop dramatically in your regions, making it ultimately more difficult for your opponent to hold onto your regions if they conquer them. It can slow them down.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 12, 2013, 11:35:29 PM »
There's an impact at the region level. Sympathy for a realm you're at hatred with will drop dramatically in your regions, making it ultimately more difficult for your opponent to hold onto your regions if they conquer them. It can slow them down.

Or is there? I haven't observed this, despite the flavor text. We kept getting messages about locals being unhappy with the war with Sint. Seemed more like fluff text than anything.

Also, when I ceased the hatred, it had a message about morale loss among the soldiers. I did not notice drops in region stats.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron