Author Topic: How to decide on giving medals  (Read 5425 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
How to decide on giving medals
« Topic Start: July 04, 2011, 12:45:20 AM »
I've been able to give medals out for a while now, but I've never actually given one out (I know, shame on me). Whenever I think "well maybe they deserve a medal", another part of me says "but this is the first time they've made me smile/ etc". So I was wondering how people decide to give out medals: do you do it based on one/two things that someone does? Or do you look at how someone plays in the long-term?

Gustav Kuriga

Re: How to decide on giving medals
« Reply #1: July 04, 2011, 04:22:06 AM »
I would take the middle road on this one. Don't hoard them, but don't throw them out like rice at a wedding either.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 04, 2011, 04:40:13 AM »
I expect a person to have done more than one or two worthwhile things, but, simultaneously, I prefer to give medals to newer players. I'm happy to say that I've given a player their first medal on quite a few occasions. So, no, I don't expect mind-blowing performances to merit a medal, because I largely give to new people. But I'd want more than one or two interesting messages.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 04, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
Since deleting my old Shenron account I am quite medal-deficient.  :-[
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 04, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
I think there are different types of medals for different occasions. I'm quite happy to give a Fun or a RP medal based on a single message or action; I reserve Trust medals for longer interactions.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 04, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
I think there are different types of medals for different occasions. I'm quite happy to give a Fun or a RP medal based on a single message or action; I reserve Trust medals for longer interactions.

Haha,

That is funny considering that trust medals seems to be the most prevalent. I've got 6 of those but no fun or rp medals and I'm not the only one... I hope :p

EDIT: Personally I give trust medels when I've got some sort of gut feeling. I hestitate to give it to players who hide their name/country etc.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:16:40 AM by Kain »
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 04, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
Haha,

That is funny considering that trust medals seems to be the most prevalent. I've got 6 of those but no fun or rp medals and I'm not the only one... I hope :p

That doesn't mean I give less of them! It's rare that a single message will make me chuckle enough at the same time as I have a fun medal available to give. There are plenty of people I trust in the game.

It also means when I get a trust medal to give, I think about whom I think deserves it and give it away, while I tend to keep fun medals in the hope of coming across something fun from a blind spot.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 06, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
I also lean toward giving medals to players who have less of them (often newer players, but not always). I might implicitly trust an established player that I've interacted with regularly, but if they already have 15 trust medals, my usual thought is "What do they need another one for? It's already obvious to anyone who looks that this player is very well liked".

Remembering how good it felt to get my first medal, I generally like to give them to people who have few or none, provided that they've proven worthy. I think of it like this: Here is a great player whom I trust, makes me laugh, etc., but other people won't know that without getting to know him. So, I'll give him a medal, and then other people can see that at least one other player thinks well of this person.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 07, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
I never give medals.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 08, 2011, 04:28:28 AM »
I never give medals.

... this is... a joke?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: July 11, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
The system is designed to reward those who give medals over those who hoard them. So when you feel like you may want to give one, you should do it. Don't throw them out (that's why they are limited), but don't wait forever, either.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 26, 2011, 11:10:22 PM »
How many medals do you need before you can start giving them?
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 27, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »
How many medals do you need before you can start giving them?

I have received one Trust medal; just recently, I suddenly had the option to give one.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: July 27, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
what? there is a limit on how many medals I can give out? really? I've been giving medals to people whenever I feel like they earned one lol

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 30, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I have received one Trust medal; just recently, I suddenly had the option to give one.

Strange I have two trusts and two funs and I don't have that option..
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.