Author Topic: Being able to change unit type but keep your captain  (Read 4908 times)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
If you have just your captain left, it would be nice if you could change your unit type. Maybe the captain could suffer some point deductions, as he isn't familiar with the new style of fighting, but still has good leadership skills. I feel like the game makes it easier for only your captain to stay alive, which is nice(not sure if true), but unless you want to sacrifce a potentially great captain you got to ditch him to get a new type of unit. Is there an option to drop miltia/disband unit, but keep your captain?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I believe the captain is designed for your current unit.  Even recruiting new troops may change your captain, so your captain should definitely not stay if you decide to change units.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
If you have cavalry, your captain will know how to command cavalry.

You really don't want him commanding archers.

"All right, men, now CHARGE!"

"Um...are you sure?"

"Don't argue with me! I know what I'm doing! I commanded cavalry in the Great War before you were born!"
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well thats why I said he should take a stat reduction. A captain can still be good at various other skills such as physically train troops and stuff like that. Even archers need to know how to fight in melee. Unless the captain is a moron he should be able to learn a new way to fight. If a captain's stat is to low maybe it can't change unit to simulate that. You would think captains or good captain would be good at other styles of fighting or at least know about it. That way they could better understand what the enemy could do against them.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
It's intentional that the captain is bound to the current unit, and it'll stay that way.

songqu88@gmail.com

Since no one can make you change unit type, then it's all up to you to decide whether you really want to give up that +500 Mixed Infantry captain for a unit type that doesn't just advance and retreat alternately in every battle (Hyperbole, obviously, though that could account for how the captain got to +500 without ever dying).

I *think* that's more or less the rationale here. Given the IR against forcing anyone to choose a particular unit type, then it is entirely the volition of the player to keep or lose a captain.

Although, I remembered reading somewhere that there was development to allow captains to die during battle. Right now, I think they still die last.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Even recruiting new troops may change your captain

eh? is there some hidden stat aside from the +whatever that appears next to the captain's name?
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Nope.  I don't quite understand how your question follows from what I said.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
just trying to understand how recruiting new troops can change captain.

does "recruiting new troops" mean
1) adding men to unit
or
2) changing unit type, say, inf -> arc, etc
firefox

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well you can't do the second one unless you have no troops which means no captain.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
just trying to understand how recruiting new troops can change captain.

does "recruiting new troops" mean
1) adding men to unit
or
2) changing unit type, say, inf -> arc, etc

1)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Unless something has changed that I don't know about, adding troops to your unit when you have no captain can find you one, but adding troops when you have a captain cannot change your existing captain.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Unless something has changed that I don't know about, adding troops to your unit when you have no captain can find you one, but adding troops when you have a captain cannot change your existing captain.

Hehe, unless something has changed that I don't know about, adding troops when you have a captain can change your existing captain.  I recall this happening sometime ago.  I'll check and make sure. 8)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I have checked and verified.  Tim is correct. :D

songqu88@gmail.com

Now my question would be: When can I become a captain?

...Good idea. Time to enter a new request!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:06:04 PM by Artemesia »