Author Topic: Dwilight Map  (Read 36749 times)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Dwilight Map
« Topic Start: April 22, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
What do you think about the Dwilight map? For example I both like and dislike how cities are surounded by a townsland area. I like it because you can have a defense to save your city utilizing walls, without risk to the city. In case that falls you have the bigger walls hopefully armed with militia to fall back to. Travling out and into a city is annoying though because it almost feels like you are wasting a turn. Maybe if that is how it originally was it wouldn't bother me.
I do really like aspects of the map like Palm Sea, Desert of Silhouttes, Flowerestown, Balance's Retreat, and the islands in the middle. Left side of the map seems to be lacking except for the Zuma which I haven't heard of anyone liking yet.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Map
« Reply #1: April 22, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
I reckon it is the most interesting map of all that there are. The way that it is divided up into two large continents, with some islands in-between makes for interesting play and realms.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 22, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Its kind of a mirror image of both sides, but with some differences, is Asylon doomed to be Pian Luries of the west coast? Is Caerwyn... Morek? Its strange and interesting to see.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: April 22, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
Taking into account monster spawns, region stats, geography, travel times, seasons, some regions are nearly useless alone. If part of a realm, some regions would be almost useless. Balance's Retreat comes to mind, though it could serve as a southern barrier for a realm situated in Unterstrom. The entire Twain/Rettle/ville area is evil with its monster spawns in its forests. The Zuma lands, they're supposed to be doomy gloomy. The middle islands are varying. Libidzedd is pretty much pointless without more lands on either side of the mainland. In this case, it's Astrum on the west. The Port islands are ok, except that alone, they have two cities, two townslands, one stronghold, one rural. That is not going to be self-sufficient, and I'm not sure how well most players would take at being another realm's playtoy. Judging by how Atamara looked until recently, probably quite well. Of course, trading relations can be built, but right now the number one producer of food is probably the Morek Empire with its many rich rurals.

Oh, and Sallowtown and Balance's Retreat aren't exactly connected, because between DoS and West Divide, the travel time is a bit high. That entire region in the east mainland has next to no food production, almost no income except for about 800 gold by default screen for Sallowtown. If whatever realm holds the Port islands also wants to hold Sallowtown, that would at most be providing extra mouths to feed without any significant returns in income.

Now Madina...that's a pretty good place. Too bad the enemy during this iteration is human politics, not really factors of the land.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 22, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Taking into account monster spawns, region stats, geography, travel times, seasons, some regions are nearly useless alone. If part of a realm, some regions would be almost useless. Balance's Retreat comes to mind, though it could serve as a southern barrier for a realm situated in Unterstrom. The entire Twain/Rettle/ville area is evil with its monster spawns in its forests. The Zuma lands, they're supposed to be doomy gloomy. The middle islands are varying. Libidzedd is pretty much pointless without more lands on either side of the mainland. In this case, it's Astrum on the west. The Port islands are ok, except that alone, they have two cities, two townslands, one stronghold, one rural. That is not going to be self-sufficient, and I'm not sure how well most players would take at being another realm's playtoy. Judging by how Atamara looked until recently, probably quite well. Of course, trading relations can be built, but right now the number one producer of food is probably the Morek Empire with its many rich rurals.

Oh, and Sallowtown and Balance's Retreat aren't exactly connected, because between DoS and West Divide, the travel time is a bit high. That entire region in the east mainland has next to no food production, almost no income except for about 800 gold by default screen for Sallowtown. If whatever realm holds the Port islands also wants to hold Sallowtown, that would at most be providing extra mouths to feed without any significant returns in income.

Now Madina...that's a pretty good place. Too bad the enemy during this iteration is human politics, not really factors of the land.

Madina is practically untakeable indeed with many border possibilities with only two or three regions to defend.
Something is already changing in it's way of holding politics.
Individualism decreased considerably due to 60% less nobles and a passionate enemy.
Madina is turning more nationalistic which could remain so if realm votes for a new constitution.(read slightly adjusted)
Where things as taxation outside times of crisis would be justified and the government will start investing in several projects in the realms mutual intrest.

Libizedd is also still a great location.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5: April 22, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »
For example I both like and dislike how cities are surounded by a townsland area.
I believe this add to the realism. Deploy an army into the city's townsland, and you have surrounded the city. No way someone is coming in or out of the city without facing the enemy army.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 22, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
I believe this add to the realism. Deploy an army into the city's townsland, and you have surrounded the city. No way someone is coming in or out of the city without facing the enemy army.

I can attest to this. We have used this fact to great effect in several sieges, including the siege of Gelene during the war with Everguard and when we brought down the Raivan Empire. It is devastatingly effective, especially if the townsland is still fortified and the city in question is the capital.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7: April 23, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
Well, there you have it. A pat on the back for me and Geronus.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 23, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
Libizedd is also still a great location.

Darn right it is.  8)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: April 24, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
I'd imagine it's not self-sufficient with only one rural on the island. But as an adjunct to a bigger mainland realm, I guess it's a good, secure, source of additional income.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 24, 2011, 03:57:28 AM »

The doughnut regions, as they were called during Dwilight's development, were created to specifically serve this purpose. They allow an army to effectively siege a city, something that is otherwise impossible on any other island.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 24, 2011, 06:40:19 AM »
The doughnut regions, as they were called during Dwilight's development, were created to specifically serve this purpose. They allow an army to effectively siege a city, something that is otherwise impossible on any other island.

Not entirely though. If the realm in question has regions left outside the doughnut, they can still get food to the city via caravan. I'm hoping the new treaty system will take care of this, since it makes no sense at all for caravans from outside the siege to be able to get in... Right now the main effect is bottling their army either in or out.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: April 24, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
While the enemy army is stuck behind those walls, you could have some detach to the surrounding rurals and start burning everything to the ground and salting the earth. That will take care of the food soon enough. As for traders, well, I guess that's why infiltrators are somewhat useful.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 24, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
I'd imagine it's not self-sufficient with only one rural on the island. But as an adjunct to a bigger mainland realm, I guess it's a good, secure, source of additional income.

No, Libidizedd is not self-sufficient. I don't think any of the island cities are, with the exception of Madina. (Which is big enough to be a sub-continent.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 24, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
When the Dwilight map was introduced in its final form it looked great. Then certain decisions made it less great(travel times especially in winter, lots of worthless regions, SMA etc.). Combine that with the only one character allowed rule and the player base decline we've had and you've got the current Dwilight, which is probably the least interesting island in the game in my opinion.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.