Author Topic: Dwilight Map  (Read 36801 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Map
« Reply #30: May 01, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Man, winters are great though. There aren't as many monsters to go around messing up your regions. Sure, in winter there's starvation, but when the food is going into the monsters' stomachs, or being destroyed by them, it evens out in the end.

Err.... opposite. Winter has more monsters.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #31: May 01, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
Er... hey Anaris what was it that you told me one time about monsters hibernating and how the current spawn system doesn't make too much sense?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 01, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Er... hey Anaris what was it that you told me one time about monsters hibernating and how the current spawn system doesn't make too much sense?

Whatever it be, I'd rather they spawn more in winter, when there's less food for them to eat. :/
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #33: May 01, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
Now that'd be too easy, sorta. More adventurers hunting only monsters I guess. Then it's just the less common and less annoying undead to fight. With the allowance of adventurers with nobles on Dwilight, there seem to be a few more adventurers on the continent. They help a little, I guess.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 01, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Whatever it be, I'd rather they spawn more in winter, when there's less food for them to eat. :/

How would that make sense?

Monsters spawn more in autumn, when there's lots of food around.  However, due to the way Dwilight is set up, you will often notice more monster attacks in winter, because it takes the rogue areas that long to "overflow" into the realms.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #35: May 01, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »
And...that's the part that makes less logical sense.

Them monsters should be sleeping in their caves or something in the winter and start popping out during spring hungry and roaring for some juicy peasants to eat. Then again, maybe these are arctic monsters like polar bear mutants that move in the winter. Or maybe monsters are actually migratory predators. Hmm...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 01, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »

Them monsters should be sleeping in their caves or something in the winter and start popping out during spring hungry and roaring for some juicy peasants to eat. Then again, maybe these are arctic monsters like polar bear mutants that move in the winter. Or maybe monsters are actually migratory predators. Hmm...

Once monsters have spawned, they're out there.  They're not just going to disappear.

Spawning itself, though, is greatly reduced in winter.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 01, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »

Autumn is when food starts getting scarce and they need to make provisions for winter. It's the *most* logical season for creature that hibertate.

Then again, who says they hibernate? Spawned monsters don't disappear. Therefore, winter would be the most logical season because food is scarce in the wild and they must roam to civilized lands for food.

It could also be argued that summer is the most logical time for them to spawn, as food is abundant and they can breed all they like.

Really, you could argue for any season, because we don't have the slightest idea what the heck a "monster" is. I'd personally go for winter as being the most logical, though, for the reasons I stated. They don't appear to hibernate, so they'd be more likely to go out in the open when food is scarce, like wolves and coyotes do.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 01, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »
Then again, maybe these are arctic monsters like polar bear mutants that move in the winter.

Except Maroccidens' winter is more like a rainy season, not a cold, snowy one.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 01, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Except Maroccidens' winter is more like a rainy season, not a cold, snowy one.

Who says so? Are there any rules set about climate? If so, where? I'd like to know them :p

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 01, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
The people of Maroccidens say so.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: May 01, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
How would that make sense?

Monsters spawn more in autumn, when there's lots of food around.  However, due to the way Dwilight is set up, you will often notice more monster attacks in winter, because it takes the rogue areas that long to "overflow" into the realms.

Hm.

This actually, to me, makes a lot of sense, and explains some curiosities I've had about monster spawning mechanics for a long time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 02, 2011, 12:43:36 AM »
Who says so? Are there any rules set about climate? If so, where? I'd like to know them :p

Nope. There are no rules about it, of course. But there was some consensus among many in Terran (at least) about it some time ago. I'm pretty sure Madina RP's things like that as well, given the whole pirate culture stuff.

I think it is the result of the region weather labels and just some creative thinking. It only makes sense really for our far southern region of the continent to be warmer in general than perhaps the more naturally cold areas to the far north.

Here are to fun links that don't say anything about climate (though I swear I read about it on the wiki once) and perhaps somethings could be added about climate to each or either of them.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/images/Westcontinentweatherareht2.jpg

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Maroccidens
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: May 02, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
Chesney's latitude places it south of the Desert of Silhouettes, but north of the Palm Sea. It's weather area is South Mediterranean.

Snow never falls in Maroccidens. Madina and Forland are more like North Africa in terms of climate than they are like the arctic. Presumably they are wetter, however, hence the Palm Sea not being the Sahara.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: May 07, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »
It only makes sense really for our far southern region of the continent to be warmer in general than perhaps the more naturally cold areas to the far north.

Northern hemisphere bias FTW!  :P

Dwilight doesn't really have any of the obvious geographical clues like, say, AT does regarding prevailing climate. For all we know, the entire island could be tropical.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.