Author Topic: OOC Clans  (Read 2061 times)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
OOC Clans
« Topic Start: April 29, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »
What is the difference between an OOC clan, which constitutes cheating and is generally frowned upon, and a group of RL friends who play in the same realm  simply because they enjoy playing together?

Is it that the group of friends don't game the system or have aggressive goals that ruin everyone else's fun?

Or are they both bad because they involved out of game communication?

Essentially I guess, the question is how does one ensure they're not cheating or playing unfairly while playing alongside someone who is an ooc friend?
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Zakilevo

Re: OOC Clans
« Reply #1: April 29, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Uh.. I am pretty sure BM allows RL friends to play together. The problem with it is that sometimes a group of friends ruin the game experience for other people by taking over a realm. Think about it, you are in a small realm composed of 15 people and out of nowhere 10 people show up and takes all the high positions and control the entire realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 29, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
What is the difference between an OOC clan, which constitutes cheating and is generally frowned upon, and a group of RL friends who play in the same realm  simply because they enjoy playing together?

Is it that the group of friends don't game the system or have aggressive goals that ruin everyone else's fun?

Or are they both bad because they involved out of game communication?

Essentially I guess, the question is how does one ensure they're not cheating or playing unfairly while playing alongside someone who is an ooc friend?

Do you exclude people from positions because they are not part of your group of OOC friends?

Do you only, or primarily, vote for your OOC friends?

Do you exclude people you don't know OOC from conversations in-game?

Do you hold important discussions about the future of the realm/religion/whatever outside the game, with no opportunity for people you don't know OOC to join in?

If you answered "yes" to any of these, you're probably part of an OOC clan.

If your group of OOC friends is just a bunch of people who like to play together, and you don't actively support each other and push away everyone else, then you're probably OK.

Out-of-game communication is fine, as long as it's used primarily to hash out what's going to be said in-game.  It's even OK to plan stuff outside the game, as long as it's then brought in-game for final discussion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 29, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
awesome. that was very clear and pretty much what I figured  :)
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.