Author Topic: Notify the Ruler when an account in his realm is locked  (Read 3201 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Title: Notify the Ruler when an account in his realm is locked

Summary: When a player account is locked, all the Rulers of the realms that player has characters in should be notified via OOC message. Given that this is public information on their Character page, this shouldn't violate anyone's privacy or anything.

Benefits: Currently when an account is locked, there's no notification for anyone else that may be affected. As an example, a previously loyal and active noble recently had his account locked and, obviously, stopped responding or doing anything.

When someone stops responding, my first thought is, "Oh, he must be busy in RL" rather than "I'd better check his Character page to see if he's been locked for cheating". So we assumed he was just inactive and did little beyond sending him messages asking him to do various things, hoping he would return. As a result, the region he is lord of has starved and will likely go rogue. If I had known his account was locked, I could have taken steps to remove him much earlier and so save that region.

Possible Exploits: None.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
So... what if they just got locked by the titans or magistrates for a short time? Not to mention that there are cases where a player is locked, and then later unlocked after a day or two. Your "taking actions to remove them" is completely inappropriate.  It is taking IC action based on OOC information. The game will automatically remove them at the appropriate time if they are gone long enough.

The region starves? Well, then it starves. It's no different than if a character got badly wounded, or captured. The character would be unavailable in those circumstances as well. Would you "take actions to remove them" if they were in prison?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Maybe that'd be fine if the autopause/remove from positions for inactivity was working properly. As I understand it, this guy has been locked for weeks and hasn't autopaused yet. So I've got to let the region go rogue rather than doing something about it? "Gross dereliction of duty" and "Ignoring messages from your ruler for weeks" is suddenly not worthy of a ban?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware that autopause was broken. Have you filed a bug report?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware that autopause was broken. Have you filed a bug report?

It was broken for a while, but there are now no errors showing up in the cleanup script, and some cleanup-script-related things have clearly fired properly.

However, I am not entirely certain that there are no bugs left in it, based on what some other people are saying.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
We've had a few nobles in Cathay who haven't replied to letters or moved for weeks who have not autopaused. I don't know for sure that they aren't doing anything but it does seem that way.

egamma

There's dozens of characters in Aurvandil who have simply been sitting in the capital and not moving.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
Yea and a quite few more in other regions. Could be autocleanup script is bugged or they just log in so they dont get removed or something.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I just checked, the few Lords that abdicated in Riombara due to more then a week of inactivity aren't paused yet either. That report was 17 days ago and they shouldn't have logged in, as their accounts are locked.

Should I file a bug report or is this being looked at already?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I just checked, the few Lords that abdicated in Riombara due to more then a week of inactivity aren't paused yet either. That report was 17 days ago and they shouldn't have logged in, as their accounts are locked.

Should I file a bug report or is this being looked at already?

Looked at, and hopefully fixed for tomorrow's cleanup script.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan