Author Topic: Exile should not block banishment  (Read 13907 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Exile should not block banishment
« Reply #30: April 11, 2011, 12:04:51 AM »
Oh definitely. But he really doesn't lose much H/P every turn. It would take over 3-4 months for it to hurt.. probably even more?

As a noble, any loss of H/P should hurt.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Cadfan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 11, 2011, 04:24:23 AM »
True, even if they don't hurt in terms of game mechanics, our characters should take their honor and prestige seriously.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 12, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »
I still think banishment should be possible, because I can't see any IG reason which would prevent a judge from doing so. When the judge was able to do so before a character has been exiled why render him immune after exile? Preventing banishment is certainly not the intention when exiling a character (from an ingame point of view I mean).

I do not talk about being able to ban someone you weren't able to ban.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:04:18 AM by fifo »

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #33: April 24, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
It might be to enforce the intentions of exile. Exile, as it says right on the page, is a battle of willpower against the ruler. How long will the exile stay, getting limited information and unable to do much of anything? How long will the ruler tolerate daily drops in H/P? (That is pretty important in case he loses the position/can't run due to low prestige) Obviously rulers with high H/P have the luxury of exiling someone, and on the other side, characters with absolutely nothing better to do or that are seriously that spiteful of the ruler would have no problems doing nothing. I think the player of such a character would find it boring though, as that probably would literally mean clicking the play link on the character, then going back to the family page immediately to see what happened for everyone else. Play the character only to prevent him from auto-pausing...at that point, is there really a reason to play? Some think so, I guess.

So if the H/P loss due to the exile staying in the realm is key to the feature, it seems like the function of exiling nobles is to be an actual one-on-one battle of wills between ruler and exile. To ban someone would remove him in shorter time than usual, and would interfere with this single-minded conflict, thus undermining the very idea of exile.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 10, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
Not only is a judge unable to stop the loss of prestige by punishment it is also possible for the player of the exiled character to leave the realm and the game and even when the character is paused he can't be removed, still destroying the kings prestige.

I usually do not moan when the admin of a game considers something a part of game, even when I think different about it, but this destroys fun for players and helps the guy who isn't even active. Okay, he came back, but don't really know whether he just logged in to see what happened maybe giving some information from real messages to his friend. I don't know if that's the reason, but I don't see an IG reason prevent punishment and I don't see an IG reason on how someone who isn't even known to still be alive can drain prestige.

When a ban would remove him in shorter time and that's not intended why make it possible anyway. What I mean is that I think the exile function wasn't intended to protect someone.

I am not king, so it doesn't affect me directly, but this seems far from what was intended. Wouldn't something like a timer be helpful here? Currently exile is final, there isn't anything that could change it in any way. This doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

It's really bad in this case, because the judge (my character) asked the king for the permission of banishment when that character became known as traitor IC (OOC it was known much longer). The king agreed, but exiled the traitor before the judge had a chance to click the ban button. I know, it's a misfortune, but it's been more  than a month since then. The traitor became inactive and active again, we don't know where he is, ...

Okay, enough moaning. Just hope there will be a way to make this a bit more fitting to the game itself. I mean I am also unsure how this stuff should be handled from an IG/RPG POV. It's like a block hole :D

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 10, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
Did I read correctly that the King is still losing prestige and honour from an exile who paused?  If so that's a pretty obvious bug.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 10, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »
Not only is a judge unable to stop the loss of prestige by punishment it is also possible for the player of the exiled character to leave the realm and the game and even when the character is paused he can't be removed, still destroying the kings prestige.

That's a bug, and will be fixed.

When a ban would remove him in shorter time and that's not intended why make it possible anyway. What I mean is that I think the exile function wasn't intended to protect someone.

No, it was not intended to protect anyone. 

As I believe I have stated previously, it was intended to give the Ruler and his government something that they can do against people who cannot be banned.

So if you can ban someone...just ban them!

It's really bad in this case, because the judge (my character) asked the king for the permission of banishment when that character became known as traitor IC (OOC it was known much longer). The king agreed, but exiled the traitor before the judge had a chance to click the ban button. I know, it's a misfortune, but it's been more  than a month since then. The traitor became inactive and active again, we don't know where he is, ...

So, your king's an idiot.  Sorry, we haven't coded a cure for stupidity into BattleMaster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 10, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
So, your king's an idiot.  Sorry, we haven't coded a cure for stupidity into BattleMaster.

Or maybe just didn't know exile blocks banishment.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 10, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
Do you know the story of Napoleon? Exiled first, banished later.

Of course I understand it's about the mechanics, just think it could be done better than that. BM is great because the mechanics support a variety of situations, but this seems to be a rough edge. Would be great if it could be fleshed out.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 10, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
Do you know the story of Napoleon? Exiled first, banished later.

Of course I understand it's about the mechanics, just think it could be done better than that. BM is great because the mechanics support a variety of situations, but this seems to be a rough edge. Would be great if it could be fleshed out.

The only thing this really needs is a clear statement on the Exile page that someone who has been exiled cannot be banished.

This has been added in rev. 5409.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan