Author Topic: Improving Roleplaying: Realm-wide RP  (Read 4243 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Improving Roleplaying: Realm-wide RP
« Topic Start: May 03, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
I think it is sad how some people (I think) miss out on a lot of fun, because roleplays can only be read by the people working on the project. For that reason, I would like to see a message option implemented to send a message to everybody in the realm a character is located in. This would mean both noble and common characters, of course.

Advantage
Improving roleplay and fun, as well as awareness of what is happening for nobles away from the centre of power

Disadvantages
Spam or abuse.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
Re: Improving Roleplaying: Realm-wide RP
« Reply #1: May 03, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
Wait, what?  You can already send messages to everyone in your realm . . . do you mean send a message to everyone in the realm of someone else?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 03, 2011, 12:18:58 AM »
Wait, what?  You can already send messages to everyone in your realm . . . do you mean send a message to everyone in the realm of someone else?
Yes, that too.

Is this just me then? On Dwilight I can "send message to realm-mates" but that excludes non-noble characters and foreigners residing in your realm?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 03, 2011, 02:24:07 AM »
I think it is intentional that realm-wide messages avoid advies, but region-wide messages include them.

If by "foreigner living in your realm", you mean something like the advy message option "Message all nobles in neighboring regions", then I would be all for that. During a battle, for examples, RPs should also recah stragglers and those who leave early. Just one region seems overly restrictive sometimes.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 03, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
I think it is intentional that realm-wide messages avoid advies, but region-wide messages include them.

If by "foreigner living in your realm", you mean something like the advy message option "Message all nobles in neighboring regions", then I would be all for that. During a battle, for examples, RPs should also recah stragglers and those who leave early. Just one region seems overly restrictive sometimes.

Yes, but let's say you're an ambassador, wouldn't it be fun to be able to read the realms roleplays when you're there? (if the writers are willing to share, of course)

egamma

« Reply #5: May 07, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
If you send to "all nobles in duchy" that will include advies--presumably only those in your duchy.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 07, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
If you send to "all nobles in duchy" that will include advies--presumably only those in your duchy.

Yes, but that's the duchy where you have an estate, not the duchy where you are. It would be nice to have a button "Send to all Nobles currently *in* the Duchy of Kepler", instead of "Send to all Nobles currently *sworn to* the Duchy of Kepler".

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 08, 2011, 01:27:28 AM »
In essence just something wider than "send to everyone in Region X" :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 09, 2011, 02:55:24 AM »
He means send a message to everyone within a realm's borders.

Personally, I like this idea.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 11, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
Personally, I don't see the logic in being able to do that. The game purposely limits communications to specific limits.

Besides, imagine being at war, and the invaders all sending realm-wide messages to the enemy realm, with there being nothing that the target realm can do about it. You can't ban them, or give them bad marks, or fine them, or do anything at all to get them to stop, even if the entire realm wants them to. And don't forget all the arguments that would ensue, as every responds to the OP, but none of those messages actually reach the sender, because he's not part of the realm.

Besides the fact that the mechanics involved would be fiendishly complex or non-intuitive, this would be way too easy to abuse.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 11, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »
What about being able to send messages to all nobles in adjacent regions?

The example that comes to mind is that if you want to have a RP exchange with a group of people of another realm, the only way to be certain it happens is to stay for multiple days in the same region. It is very difficult to travel together, because one missed turn means you travel out of phase. If you could communicate, you could travel together, at the cost of eventually skipping a turn for the stragglers.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 11, 2011, 05:16:49 PM »
Sending message to all adjacent regions is an NPC character ability. I don't think you're going to get it added to normal characters as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: May 11, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Adventurers get the ability to do that for all nearby adventurers. I suppose the reason normal characters don't get it is because none of them are important enough to have the surroundings quiver with their voice.