Author Topic: Closing Islands ?  (Read 124566 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Closing Islands ?
« Reply #375: July 30, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

IMO if a continent is deleted then it should be selected for a practical reason like low player count, low player retention, low attractiveness to newcomers etc etc. rather than a forum argument over whose culture is the "most unique"

I agree, I was pointing out the difficulty of transplanting Dwilight's culture because it seems to me people are getting the idea that if we delete Dwilight it's unique qualities will seed the other continents and germinate into a revived game. I think there's no guarantee that this is the case and it's far more likely the remnants of Dwilight will die out after some initial excitement and then we'll be left with all the other continents equally boring and also no Dwilight.

But, now existing, these cultures can go where the people that make them up can go. Cultures aren't like endangered species dependent on one dying ecosystem; people are adaptable and can transplant information and identity. Especially so with religious cultures, which are especially good at incorporating terrible things into existing mythology and carrying on traditions, even if...

Cultures are known to die out due to environmental pressures in real life and I've seen the same thing happen in game. If there were a good chance of Dwilight's cultures taking root all over BM then shouldn't it stand to reason that players who play on Dwilight can simply come up with characters in other game worlds and form new interesting cultures there? That doesn't seem to be happening.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:06:01 PM by pcw27 »