Author Topic: How tall was Napoleon  (Read 22093 times)

Gustav Kuriga

How tall was Napoleon
« Topic Start: July 22, 2013, 06:13:29 AM »
Nice to see Aurvandil has been knocked down to proper size. I was seriously tired of these ridiculously-coordinated army stacks gangbanging everything in their path. Always suspected Mendi and a few others were cheaters, I just hope they stay gone for good. They'll probably pop in again sometime but after losing all their work its unlikely they'll bother playing in the long-term.

What's Aurvandil like these days? Still the arrogant French Empire or has that unassailable attitude shifted? I always visualized Mendicant as an ultra-cocky Napoleon, stature and all. I hope there are still some good RPers in Aurvandil. While some of the racist and offensive overtones seriously pissed me off, I really enjoyed the upper-tier writing quality.

Napoleon was rather tall for his time...

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Re: How tall was Napoleon
« Reply #1: July 22, 2013, 06:24:14 AM »
Quite tall? From what I was taught in Brazil and USA, he was very short. Comically-so.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 22, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
While I don't recall his actual height, I do recall that a lot of the basis for the Napoleon short jokes was from british propaganda during the napoleonic wars.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #3: July 22, 2013, 06:45:41 AM »
Quite tall? From what I was taught in Brazil and USA, he was very short. Comically-so.

Yeah... just going to say right now that America's track record on teaching objective history to students is rather... checkered, to say the least.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 22, 2013, 06:47:27 AM »
Huh. Apparently he was actually 5'7. Still shortish, but not that much.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #5: July 22, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
Huh. Apparently he was actually 5'7. Still shortish, but not that much.

That's actually only short compared to modern day Europeans, it was actually tall for the time period.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 22, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
That's tall by South-East Asian standards. I stand at a measly 5'6 myself!

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 22, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »
I stand at a measly 5'6 myself!

You and me both. I feel your pain.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 22, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
So does BM attract short people or what... I'm 5'6 also (tell people i am 5'7), Napoleon Complex ftw
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #9: July 22, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
Both the English and French at the time of the Napoleonic War used different standards for an inch, I believe. It was something to do with that.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 22, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
Oh damn. I'm 5'11 and I'm short compared to my father. My growth effectively halted after 15 due to anemia. I know South Americans tend to be short, my mother is 5'2, but Dutch/Germans like my father seem to generally be taller. I've met some pretty tall asians, actually.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 22, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
While I don't recall his actual height, I do recall that a lot of the basis for the Napoleon short jokes was from british propaganda during the napoleonic wars.

What what I read, this is the case. Another cause was the fact that french imperial units were longer than the british ones, so just saying his height in feet, without saying it was french feet, made him sound shorter than he actually was.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 09, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
*secretly is 6'5*

I didn't know that about Napoleon yet though. Interesting. Can anyone delve deeper into the subject, or would wikipedia give me all I need?

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 09, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »

From Wikipedia:Napoleon's height was 5 ft 2 French inches according to Antommarchi at Napoleon's autopsy and British sources put his height at 5 foot and 7 British inches: both equivalent to 1.7 m.[188]Napoleon surrounded himself with tall bodyguards and had a nickname of le petit caporal which was an affectionate term that reflected his reported camaraderie with his soldiers rather than his height.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon#Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_depictions_of_Napoleon#Napoleon.27s_height

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 09, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »
I'm fairly sure I remember once reading that the idea of Napoleon being particularly short came from a British newspaper cartoon by a famous satirist of the era that pictured him being held in the hand of either Wellington or the British king. I can't remember the specific source of that detail, though.