Author Topic: Facebook Campaign  (Read 13890 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Facebook Campaign
« Topic Start: July 26, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
As discussed in several other topics, a push on Facebook might bring us additional players, possibly many.

The first thing to do, if you haven't already done so, is to like the official BM page:

https://www.facebook.com/BattleMasterGame

This topic is to discuss the additional steps beyond that.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook Campaign
« Reply #1: July 26, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
I have seen many comments recently, it would be good for people to add a hashtag to the end (#battlemaster?)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 26, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
I don't know anything about hashtags. What would that do for us?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 26, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Reading these posts, I had to laugh when I imagined you were both old grumpy men haha  :P

'Hey Bob, maybe it'd be a good idea to add them 'hashtags' kids be a-usin' these days'
'What's a hashtag Herman? I don't know nothin' 'bout those, can we grow them?'

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 26, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »
"Get offa my lawn! Damn kids..."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 26, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
I don't know anything about hashtags. What would that do for us?

a hashtag (technically it should be called a pound or shart since it's the # symbol) basically gives your post a category, so people searching a category will find all related posts, or if it gets popular other people see 'trending' topics.

It's all very hippy.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 26, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
a hashtag (technically it should be called a pound or shart since it's the # symbol)

You mean the hash symbol, which is a name for that far more common than "shart" (at least where I come from)?

;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 26, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
You mean the hash symbol, which is a name for that far more common than "shart" (at least where I come from)?

;D
Where I live no one calls it "shart" or "pound", and "hash" onky in the context of "hashtag" - it's usually the "number sign".
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 27, 2013, 03:20:58 AM »
Where I live no one calls it "shart" or "pound", and "hash" onky in the context of "hashtag" - it's usually the "number sign".
Same here, but now the we are getting very off-topic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #9: July 27, 2013, 04:01:04 AM »

;D

No, hashtag is the proper terminology for this usage, since it implies an online social media context.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 27, 2013, 04:06:15 AM »
No, hashtag is the proper terminology for this usage, since it implies an online social media context.

Yes, Gustav. The point Azerax was trying to make was that, to him, the # itself is not commonly called a "hash" symbol, so it should be called a "pound tag".

I believe everyone involved in this sub-discussion knows what a hashtag is.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #11: July 27, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
Maybe we should post on Facebook about this exciting conversation.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 27, 2013, 05:26:55 AM »
...shart? Seriously? It's called that in some places? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 27, 2013, 06:06:49 AM »
I'd certainly recommend we go in for targetted FB ads, or even have some people go and post stuff about BM in public FB RPG/MMORPG groups- quick targeted ads with links to the forum and the home page. The latter especially can produce huge effects. Yes, it's kinda spammy, but it will get us more hits. Hashtags are all very well, but you need far larger numbers of people using the BM hashtag than we have if you want it to have any tangible effect.

At the publication house where I work, we're trying a similar campaign to reach out to more people. We posted one of our newer articles to a targeted audience on reddit, and our site traffic quadrupled for that week, and the bottoming out happened at a level higher than our earlier stable peak. For reference, its a small site, doubt its too much bigger than BM.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 27, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
...shart? Seriously? It's called that in some places? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was my first reaction too! That word has a much different meaning among most people I know.

We posted one of our newer articles to a targeted audience on reddit

Has there ever been any sort of Battlemaster presence on reddit? It might not be a bad idea to do Facebook ads and hit up the other popular sites that can help increase traffic and maybe turn people on to the game itself.