Author Topic: Player Statistics  (Read 12440 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Player Statistics
« Topic Start: July 29, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
Here's something I did today for the Facebook page, because I want to show people that BM is a game that really keeps people interested for years:

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Player Statistics
« Reply #1: July 29, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
That might actually be a turn off, since it really shows that only a very small percentage actually stays past 1 year.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 29, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
That might actually be a turn off, since it really shows that only a very small percentage actually stays past 1 year.

How many browser games do you think actually achieve a 50% 2-year retention? This is actually quite amazing.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #3: July 29, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
How many browser games do you think actually achieve a 50% 2-year retention? This is actually quite amazing.

To someone who is knowledgeable of the statistics, sure, but for purely a public release, not so much.

Eirikr

« Reply #4: July 29, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
I dunno, it's better than nothing.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 29, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
The graphs mean little by themselves, as it could be that 10000000000 people played 11 years ago, or 50 people played, and are all still playing. Both would mean entirely different things.
Percentages would work better.

"30% of players that started playing 11 years ago are still playing"

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 29, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
The graphs mean little by themselves, as it could be that 10000000000 people played 11 years ago, or 50 people played, and are all still playing. Both would mean entirely different things.

I think the y-axis refers to number of current players.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 29, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
Shush you all! I wonder if I get counted at 9 or 10 years at 9 years and 10 months...
And how many players are even older... :)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 29, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »

Precisely.  It could also be that there was a large influx a year ago and those people are all still playing.

edit: I'm sure the data doesn't also include players who've come back and accounts were gone either.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 29, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
Here's something I did today for the Facebook page, because I want to show people that BM is a game that really keeps people interested for years

Facebook wasn't even around when I started playing!

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: July 30, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
Epic stats, Tom! :D

I wonder what happened 7 years ago... :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 30, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »

What Wolfang said.
When I first saw the graphic first thought was that this is not good for BM image. % will work better than numbers.
Also, I would turn the graphic to show it increasing. Looks better.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 31, 2013, 04:14:23 AM »
The percents will be very very low.  Even assuming even growth over the ~12 years we've had ~35,000 different accounts created.

So to put that into perspective we have 2.9k new accounts a year, in other words less than 8% in the past two years, and it just drops down from there (to if we're being generous for people in my class less than a fraction of a %).  If you mean percentage of the whole player base that's not what was originally said.

egamma

« Reply #13: August 01, 2013, 04:03:01 AM »
Epic stats, Tom! :D

I wonder what happened 7 years ago... :P

BM got Slashdotted. I was trying to find the article the other day, but couldn't find it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 01, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
When I first saw the chart, I thought it was playerbase per year, showing a deep decline in the second year of the game and a steady downwards drop since. Of course, that wasn't it, but when I look at it, I still see decline more than anything, even if that's not at all what it means.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron