Poll

How many different active wars are you currently involved in?

I am not involved in any war.
1 (2.3%)
One of my characters is involved in a war.
5 (11.6%)
Two of my characters are involved in a war
15 (34.9%)
Three of my characters are involved in a war.
14 (32.6%)
Four or more of my characters are involved in a war.
8 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: September 26, 2013, 09:50:57 AM

Author Topic: How many wars are you in?  (Read 8941 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: How many wars are you in?
« Reply #15: August 27, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »
There's also an element of delayed gratification. There are certainly myriad ways to increase the number of wars, but it's worth considering whether you're trading quality for quantity. The problem I see with too much war is that you need time to prepare, i.e. training your unit and building your realm internally. I also enjoy the nervous tension that builds in the days leading up to an epic battle.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 27, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
Atamara has 14 realms, of which 7 are currently at war with at least one other realm.

I count 8 myself, so that is more than half of the realms on the continent who are at war. It's not necessary to fight everyone and his dog, only fighting one realm at a time can get quite lively.

The stats are very misleading.

QFT. In order for war to dominate, everyone would need to be fighting everyone else. It should be enough for a realm to just be fighting another.

PS: My three characters are in wars, and my advy is in a realm that is at war. So I put three for now.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 27, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
I count 8 myself, so that is more than half of the realms on the continent who are at war. It's not necessary to fight everyone and his dog, only fighting one realm at a time can get quite lively.

QFT. In order for war to dominate, everyone would need to be fighting everyone else. It should be enough for a realm to just be fighting another.

PS: My three characters are in wars, and my advy is in a realm that is at war. So I put three for now.

Good point. You also need time to prepare for war, and you also want wars to eventually end so there can be a winner.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 27, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
It has been pointed out by Lorgan before, that the enfasis on number of wars, might be a completely wrong way to look at things, but rather war-activity, and by this is meant, how many battles are made in how much time, and other things which are 'war-ey'.
Having a war on itself is as much having a war as being at peace wiht another nation, if both nations don't really do anything, or if they just battle once every week or two...

later edit:

Furthermore, Tom's stats are more relevant than this poll, for example, the votes are extremely dependant on HOW many characters you have.

Someone with 5 characters with 2 at war vs a newbie with 1 character at war out of 2 characters means that the noob is in more wars than the older player proportionately. The poll doesn't 'mean' anything at alllll. It should be in fractions or % of characters for it to mean anything at all. Right now it's just randomn numbers being voted on with no meaning.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:53:58 PM by Wolfang »

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 27, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
It has been pointed out by Lorgan before, that the enfasis on number of wars, might be a completely wrong way to look at things, but rather war-activity, and by this is meant, how many battles are made in how much time, and other things which are 'war-ey'.
Having a war on itself is as much having a war as being at peace wiht another nation, if both nations don't really do anything, or if they just battle once every week or two...

Excellent points.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 28, 2013, 03:44:29 AM »
EC: For years, my favorite continent. I always played in Sirion and since the last great peace, Sirion has been involved in virtually all wars. We fought against almost the entire continent, we defeated our enemies and now we start to worry about the fact that we have a vast realms with few obvious enemies... because we killed them all. And we cannot retain characters without war. However, Perdan is growing so much that at some point, or we will have a great peace again, or another great war among the three great forces: Perdan, Sirion and Caligus. Perdan have the entire south now... Sirion still can wage war against OI, maybe against Westmoor... but after that, we will have a continent of three huge realms.

FEI: We have the Empire and the "free realms". Many battles, I must say. I believe FEI will have reasons to wage war for some years.

Dwilight: Almost the same thing with the Theocracies against the "free realms". I doubt this war will continue for a long time, but there's enough conflicts to stay and figt more wars.

One of the best recent experiences I had was in Beluaterra. I had some certainty that Melhed will lose the war, but war brought new life to the kingdom for a few months. However, I bet most of the people in power would not risk their relams when they have some certainty that they will lose miserably.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 28, 2013, 03:59:02 AM »
Colonies seems a bit skewed also.

Currently there is a war between the North and South.   OT and Lukon vs Aren and Orit with Assassins...well we both pretend they don't exist at this point haha.

Also i'm on Dwilight in Morek Empire fighting against Liberio and then I believe there is more to fight on the horizon.   

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 28, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Someone with 5 characters with 2 at war vs a newbie with 1 character at war out of 2 characters means that the noob is in more wars than the older player proportionately. The poll doesn't 'mean' anything at alllll. It should be in fractions or % of characters for it to mean anything at all. Right now it's just randomn numbers being voted on with no meaning.

I don't think so. Of course if you have only two characters you are less likely to be in wars, but from a game-wide perspective the result is the same: you as a player are not in any war.

What this poll tells me is that 87% of people are part of at least two different wars. This is more than I expected. It is also pretty much in line with what I would call an ideal situation: no one can deal with 7 different wars anyway! If you're in two different wars there should be plenty of warfare to go around.

If there isn't, then it's a sign that it's not the quantity of wars that is an issue but the quality of wars.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 28, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
Though you must admit there is a bias in the poll. People who are more active in the forums will probably be more active in game and will be actively causing war or seeking out warring realms. Though I must say that I am still surprised by result of the poll.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 28, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
Though you must admit there is a bias in the poll. People who are more active in the forums will probably be more active in game and will be actively causing war or seeking out warring realms.

That is true. I'm not sure how I could unbias it though.....
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 28, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
All my 4 characters are at war. 1 on East Island, 2 on Colonies Island, 1 on FEI Island. I do find it is a lot of fun to interact with other players during war ;)

Hearing about some posts on East Island. Do allow me to explain about the lack of war or what the graph shows as peaceful. The last big war is over which saw 9 realms at war. In other word, all realms on East Island: OI, Nivemus, Sirion, Caligus, Armonia, Eponlynn, Perdan, Westmoor, Fane involved. So naturally most realms settle down to peace status to rebuild their lands after war. War bring much destruction, we need sometime to rebuild after war. The graph does not show the true status. If we wish to get a true statistic graph, perhaps some timeframe of war until peace or peace until war period.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 28, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
dont think there's a way to not have this bias, its a very positive result nonetheless.

Ketchum, two characters on the same realm dont count  :P
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 28, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
EC: For years, my favorite continent. I always played in Sirion and since the last great peace, Sirion has been involved in virtually all wars. We fought against almost the entire continent, we defeated our enemies and now we start to worry about the fact that we have a vast realms with few obvious enemies... because we killed them all. And we cannot retain characters without war. However, Perdan is growing so much that at some point, or we will have a great peace again, or another great war among the three great forces: Perdan, Sirion and Caligus. Perdan have the entire south now... Sirion still can wage war against OI, maybe against Westmoor... but after that, we will have a continent of three huge realms.

I am working on some new wars there Erik, just join the guild and spread it to the north! ;)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 28, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
Wars are good, but they're even better - at least from a ruler's perspective - when there's a good narrative running behind them. The FEI's Empire vs the Free Realms war is really good in that respect. We probably have Galiard to thank for that - he turned it from a war the Empire was involved in to a war against the Empire.