Dwilight
55 (28.9%)
East Continent
32 (16.8%)
Far East Island
32 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: August 30, 2013, 03:14:16 PM

Author Topic: Which islands do you want to keep?  (Read 21721 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Which islands do you want to keep?
« Reply #45: August 03, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
About half the player-base plays on Dwilight alone.

Careful with wording here.

Only 8 people play solely on Dwilight. The continent with the most players only on that continent is Atamara, at 32.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 03, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »
Isn't Atamara still the recommended starter continent? How many of those players are on their first character?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #47: August 04, 2013, 12:00:24 AM »
Careful with wording here.

Only 8 people play solely on Dwilight. The continent with the most players only on that continent is Atamara, at 32.

You know that doesn't help your case... That just means people who play on Dwilight are more likely to contribute characters on other continents, and therefore not a part of the issue with character density. Whereas players on Atamara tend towards only contributing to one continent, and are not playing on other continents.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: August 04, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »
Yeah. If they used up their other slots that's like 60 characters for the other game worlds.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 04, 2013, 02:57:13 AM »
You know that doesn't help your case...
He's not making a case. He's pointing out the error in your wording. Your statement implied that half of the playerbase *only* plays on Dwilight and no other island at all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 04, 2013, 03:24:58 AM »
He's not making a case. He's pointing out the error in your wording. Your statement implied that half of the playerbase *only* plays on Dwilight and no other island at all.

I actually never got that implication from the initial post. To me it read as half the player base having a character there.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #51: August 04, 2013, 04:35:37 AM »

No, my statement implied that Dwilight *alone* has half the player base playing on it.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 04, 2013, 05:05:39 AM »
Sentences can imply many things. It's up to the writer and the reader to work together to find out their meanings. For instance, in that last sentence which meanings were I talking about, the meanings of sentences or the meanings of the writer and reader?

And when the knight stabs a guy with a sword, is it a knight using a sword to stab a guy or is it a guy with a sword getting stabbed by a knight.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 04, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »
Also, I voted for Dwilight because it's the only place that I know of that has a significant (or even noticeable) level of interaction and also because the diplomacy isn't yet predictable and repetitive the way it is elsewhere.

egamma

« Reply #54: August 04, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
Yeah. If they used up their other slots that's like 60 characters for the other game worlds.

Since these 32 people probably choose not to play on the other islands, it's entirely possible that they would just quit, and wouldn't help the density of the other islands.

It's also possible that some of them would launch a character on each of the remaining islands and after finding one they like, double up there like they did an Atamara and then pause their other characters.

Which continent is most like Atamara, in terms of feel? FEI?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #55: August 04, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
Since these 32 people probably choose not to play on the other islands, it's entirely possible that they would just quit, and wouldn't help the density of the other islands.

It's also possible that some of them would launch a character on each of the remaining islands and after finding one they like, double up there like they did an Atamara and then pause their other characters.

Which continent is most like Atamara, in terms of feel? FEI?

Probably East Island, since it has new realms but the same deadlocked feeling to it.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: August 04, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »

No I meant right now they could be providing 60 characters and then we might not have to close anything.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: August 04, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Maybe we should start expanding the 1 character per continent to other continents. I've never been a fan of changing the rules after the fact, but if we are going to close a whole continent, it doesn't seem as bad anymore, in comparison.

The solution may not be more characters per players (though I do understand the point some raise that lowering the max noble count of newbies is likely to be rather bad measure despite how I originally held it as being a good way to reward long-time players), but spreading players around a bit. I've always thought that forcing this upon newbies would likely be good for player retention... but perhaps it wouldn't limit itself to that. That rule really has dramatic impacts on inter-character interactions. When one has two nobles in the same realm, in the vast majority of cases the second character is just a bland drone that serves as an extension of the former and nothing else. The 1 character rule makes things more dynamic, which can only help making realms more fun, and thus improve retention everywhere. It might also force players to diversify the realms they play in a bit, and they might just realize they like those new realms too and want to invest themselves there.

I'd propose, for max noble/ active character count:

New account, private info: 2/3
New account, public info: 4/4
Old account, private info: 3/4+
Old account, public info: 4/5+

Overall, though, I'd reiterate my previous points: We will not fix BM's problem by shutting down continents. This is a band-aid solution. It will make things better for a while, but there's no reason to believe it would, in any way, reverse the decline. The only solution to that problem is to make the game more fun. So the main objects of discussion should not be how many islands we shut down and which, but how do we reverse the trend of player decline? Because if that is not addressed, it doesn't matter which continent we shut down first, in the end we'll be shutting them all down.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #58: August 05, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Shutting down a continent, and raising density, will make people feel like they are playing a game with others, rather than playing by themselves in a digital wasteland.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: August 05, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
Shutting down a continent, and raising density, will make people feel like they are playing a game with others, rather than playing by themselves in a digital wasteland.

Yes it will, but alone it will not solve the problem of player retention.

Edit after vote:

Dwilight: good atmosphere and is a test island, if we should keep one of them, Dwilight is an interesting one.

Colonies: never played there, but it gives you a diferent pace on the game with only one turn, this might be good for those who really don't have much time to play
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:19:17 PM by Naidraug »
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic