Dwilight
55 (28.9%)
East Continent
32 (16.8%)
Far East Island
32 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: August 30, 2013, 03:14:16 PM

Author Topic: Which islands do you want to keep?  (Read 21359 times)

nanakisan

• Freeman
  • I'm a absolute looney! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery of 3D madness
Re: Which islands do you want to keep?
« Reply #30: August 01, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
I personally want to keep EC. EC has a lot of immense history and its the first Island i joined. I have just now started entering into the role of lordship between two realms. I enjoy the people and characters i play with. Plus i want to shove a siege engine into Ibladesh just once!
I am a lunatic wrapped in bacon. Sprinkled with swiss, smoothered in mustard and then buried in lettuce. I'm delicious!

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 01, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
I chose Dwilight, Beluaterra, and  EI.

Dwilight because I <3 it way too much for my own good. Its vast, has unique geographical situations compared to other continents, vibrant history thats still affecting the present, more frequent turnover, religion that matters to characters, and has the one-noble-per-family rule. Its played by about half the playerbase, from my rough estimations, so that gives me an initial understanding that it has good player density. It also has a good record of player retention, in the past (though I still think a retention study should be done before choosing an island). I do think Dwilight should have increased rogue spawn rates though, to make up for its increased size.

Beluaterra is still dealing with the ramifications of its changed geography, has good character density, more frequent turnover, and a vibrant history thats still affecting the present. It also has a good record of player retention, in the past.

EI and Atamara I was split on. I've enjoyed both continents immensely throughout my playing experience and would miss either (hopefully they'd be frozen to be recolonized when player density increased). If our goal is to reduce density, I think something is to be said for keeping the continent with fewer regions, especially if Dwilight is kept already. With a higher density, the realms will divide into smaller blocks with faster wars and more internal competition between involved players. FEI has fewer regions too, but that also makes it harder for smaller realms to arise since they are so close to neighboring cities from the beginning. EI would offer secessions at least buffer regions between the border and their capital.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 01, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
There are a lot of people that love Atamara. They just don't participate in the forums. That's why the forums are a very poor choice for gauging the opinions of the players, especially in a matter such as this.

Atamara has its good points. It has large realms, active wars, constant warfare, mostly straightforward politics. And lots of characters. That fact alone should tell you how much people love to play on Atamara. They just don't come here. Probably because when they do, they get barraged by "Atamara sucks!"

I remember it being in total peace several times.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 01, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
I remember it being in total peace several times.
It must have been several years ago since you have been on AT. I am less than a month away from my second year of playing (it feels like its been longer than that) and AT has been in constant warfare long before I got there.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 01, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »
It must have been several years ago since you have been on AT. I am less than a month away from my second year of playing (it feels like its been longer than that) and AT has been in constant warfare long before I got there.

That was because of what I'll call the Great War that is technically still going on even though it's basically over. Prior to that things were quite dull - periods of peace interspersed with one-sided wars featuring the League of the Eagle vs. <insert latest over-matched victim here>.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 01, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
FEI and Dwi deserve to stay because of their retention statistics. Colonies is different, worth keeping, and removing it wouldn't change enough anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #36: August 02, 2013, 01:06:53 AM »
You could make a game-wide GM post that links to some survey if you want representation.

I don't. BM is not a democratic game, and some things are not about opinions. You don't vote on the speed of light. Comments I appreciate, votes mean nothing.

Tiridia

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 02, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »
I don't. BM is not a democratic game, and some things are not about opinions. You don't vote on the speed of light. Comments I appreciate, votes mean nothing.

Then scratch the quantitative data and get the players to comment. Not all do the forum thing. It could be some GM ran game-wide referendum with a link in the announcements that leads into a page with a simple box where to click a continent you want to keep and reasons for why. Though perhaps the forum is enough of a sample when it comes to the particular features of any given island.

I would keep Dwilight, because of the unique map, interesting sea travel, doughnuts around the cities, SMA and Sanguis Astroism, even if I will likely never play in that religion.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 02, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
That was because of what I'll call the Great War that is technically still going on even though it's basically over. Prior to that things were quite dull - periods of peace interspersed with one-sided wars featuring the League of the Eagle vs. <insert latest over-matched victim here>.
I remember Atamara being all about trench sitting. If one side attacks they would lose so we just sat there killing each other's scouts.

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: August 02, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
Like Tom says, this is entirely unofficial.

If I asked for only one island, I think we would get a lot of "Dwilight" responses, which wouldn't be as useful as knowing which two, or which three, islands are the most loved. 64% of players voted for Dwilight as one of their three islands. Now, I don't know if Dwilight was #1, #2, or #3 on their list, but knowing that 2/3rds of the players (who voted) want to keep it is a pretty strong indicator. 55% voted for FEI, and only 12% voted for the Colonies. AT, BE, and EC are basically tied, which I find interesting.

In a couple of weeks I can start another poll where keeping Dwilight and FEI as taken for granted as being safe, and people have to choose to keep 1 of the four remaining islands, assuming we don't have any major changes in the numbers.

And Tom wants to keep EC, so maybe I can drop that from the running, leaving AT,BE, and the Colonies. Then the numbers may get especially interesting.

But, I wanted to have an open poll for now.
Did Tom say he wanted to drop three islands? Maybe you misunderstood the post you quoted. I believe the discussion was about dropping one island and saving the other five, not dropping three and only keeping three.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: August 02, 2013, 03:41:15 PM »
You misunderstood his post, he simply wants to make a poll with the three least popular islands.
Imo Colonies should be dropped from the poll as it has a unique crowd.

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: August 02, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
I suggest to keep East Continent and Atamara, simply because they are the oldest and almost everyone plays there. Without them, BM is not BM.
Then I also suggest to keep Colonies, because it is unique in terms of game speed and some wish to play only there due to this unique point.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #42: August 03, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »
Stay Calm (About Poll) And Keep Commenting. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #43: August 03, 2013, 02:11:17 AM »
I suggest to keep East Continent and Atamara, simply because they are the oldest and almost everyone plays there. Without them, BM is not BM.
Then I also suggest to keep Colonies, because it is unique in terms of game speed and some wish to play only there due to this unique point.

About half the player-base plays on Dwilight alone. Considering that Atamara only has a similar number of characters because you're allowed to have two nobles there, that's saying something. You'd probably have to combine East Continent and Atamara to get the same number of players.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 03, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
To recap the advantages of Dwilight, sticking mainly with the ones which are objective.
1. It has the highest retention rates.

2. It is a unique map (as opposed to copy pasted maps such as Far East or Beluterra)

3. Its geography makes sea zones a more significant feature.

4. It's "doughnut region" feature allows more realistic siege warfare.  Again this feature is not found on any other map.