Author Topic: Newbie Quests  (Read 16167 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Quests
« Reply #45: October 11, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if this has been proposed. But perhaps it's also productive to include the meta-game in these newbie quests? For instance, add in a small quiz regarding the IR/ettiquette/...? All IRs could be fed to the new players during these quest lines, with a test in the end. Of course players could just look them up and answer them, but that's alright: they're sure to have read them.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: October 11, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
I do not think Tests like that would be well received by some new players. I would probably get a bit irritated with something like that. I take tests at school and work and unless they are very well blended into the game world, I do not want them in my games... Everyone is different though!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #47: October 11, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
I don't think a test is appropriate, but I do support the idea of using these quests to introduce players to the IR. The Social Contract they have already signed and been tested on when they signed up.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 31, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
Bump
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 31, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »
I also think it will be helpful to link to the wiki page (provided it's updated) regarding the quest you just completed.
I know returning players get confused about the tax system and estate system.

Also maybe a quest on the feudal and military hierarchy, not sure how to go about that though.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Swiftblade

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 03, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Not necessarily a "quest", but a simple page saying what the "pick a realm" screen means etc, explaining that new chars are encouraged to join a warring realm with a lot of action, so that they can quickly get their feet wet, because a warring realm is likely to also be a fairly active one, meaning they can talk to some people in game etc. This alone will give new players a good sense of what to do in the game, rather than just joining a realm based on the cool name.

In the case of new players, there could also be an "are you sure" pop up if they choose a slower, less active realm, saying that there game play may be slower and more boring if they start there. Not to turn newbies off certain realms, but for a first time player its rather important, for someone just creating a new char they wouldn't need to worry abut the pop up, or you could remove it for already established players.

This will also give some of the slower realms that never war, a little bit of incentive, because if warring realms are more likely to get the new chars, then they will have to start something to get some newbies.

Also I feel that new players are more likely to go from a warring realm to a slower realm if that's what they prefer, rather than start off in a slow realm and just feel bored and quit. Its a sad truth but its a truth none the less. For an already slow game, joining a slow realm where they feel there is nothing to do can instantly turn a player off.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #51: August 03, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
This has been discussed a million times or more:

It is pretty much impossible to determine "good" or "active" realms by computer code. A realm can be at war with 5 others and still be boring because the wars aren't hot. It can have tons of messages, but it's all OOC spam. Or it can be small, few messages, just one war, but a blast to play in.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 03, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »
While I think everyone is clear on what the quests are for, I'd like to point out what Velax wrote in his initial post;

Possible Exploits: Could be used by some unscrupulous players to get family gold more quickly with a new character than they otherwise could. Could replace the family gold rewards with Honour instead, if it's an issue.

I suggest that the newbie quests are what they are called after; quests for new players. Meaning that, for example, when I start a new character, I cannot do these quests - since I have more than 10 years of experience I would probably even be bothered if these quests were mandatory for all new characters. But it's a wonderful idea for new players, surely.

Lastly I was considering that perhaps the final quest a newbie can fulfil could result in him gaining one fame point. Maybe prestige is a better substitute because it's actually useful for something, I don't know. Maybe give him a choice between three boons, out of which he can pick one? Say: extra gold, a fame point or one prestige. Ultimately you could give a newbie the fourth option: "get a decent unit!" and let him get a free-of-charge unit that doesn't have those horrible starting unit stats. That way when he fights his first series of battles, his unit isn't instantly ruined. I'm just tossing with ideas here, but I love the concept of guiding new players through the basics of the game through some quests. Other browser games (Travian comes to mind) use this too and it seems to work pretty well there.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 05, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
I always liked the idea of a newbie training or guiding system.
But i believe we can already get quite a far way in game.
It does take effort and time, but once set up properly, this could run without to much work, almost by its self.

The panther Claw Academy is a try for something similar to newbie quests or tutorials where i hope to create a balanced environment for newbies to quickly get to know and get involved in the game, with a clear task.
I am looking for feedback, criticism and or help:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,4981.0.html
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid