Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 134846 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So basically, you are saying that the majority, or something very close to a majority (i.e. the OTHER 50%) are perfectly happy with the situation? Well, then a vote to shake everything up would also fail to get a majority, right? So basically you are asking the dev team to destroy the game of half the players because of a vocal minority, yes?

I'm not happy with AT, don't get me wrong. But we have come a very long way from the initial claims that almost everyone on AT is unhappy and wants it to change, haven't we?

I think you're equating "wants that change" with "is open about their desire for change, willing to work for it, and not worried about what other people will say or do to him."

Furthermore, I think you're the one who is, in this case, guilty of interpreting overly narrowly.

I would be willing to bet that most of the nobles inside the CE block would not welcome a breakup of that block and the destruction of its power, so as to allow every realm on the continent to once again have agency of its own.

However, I would also be willing to bet that if such a change did come about, at least 80% of those nobles would, after all the dust had settled, rate their enjoyment of the continent as higher than before. Because being inside a stagnant behemoth realm is rarely significantly better than fighting against a stagnant behemoth realm. Opportunity for advancement tends to be thin on the ground, and most nobles are expected to be drones.

And, again—and this point cannot be stressed enough—most players are sheep. If their ruler says, "This is what you want," and you then ask them what they want, they will say exactly what their ruler told them they wanted. That doesn't mean that we, as devs and GMs, should listen to them when the players of the largest realm on the continent say they want it to remain supreme.

I've seen you rail against politicians and the sheep who elect them on Slashdot. Yet you seem not to realize that the exact same conditions obtain in BattleMaster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan