Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 134747 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Just leaving a few links to a few old newspapers with different styles, formats and focuses to give people a taste of what can be done:

Atamaran Advocate
Falasan Inquirer
The Rampant Lion
Estahsism Echo
Heenite Highlights
Latlan Herald
The TattleMaster

The forum certainly didn't help the wiki, but feels to me like the wiki started declining in use much before the forums arrived.

Perhaps, but there are definitely things that the locals board have taken from the wiki. It may sound strange, but I feel that the forum has somewhat deprived BattleMaster of her memory and of her history. For example, there was a 100+ page thread on the continent-wide war on Atamara, but in two years the only mention of it anywhere on the wiki was on an empty placeholder page. It was only with some prodding in the thread long after the main events had passed that there was any record.

I know it has been nice to chat in near-real time about things that are happening in BattleMaster, but going back to page 18 of a forum thread to figure out why realm A went to war with realm B doesn't do a lot for the history, culture and world building we have in game. I know that it has always been hit and miss whether a realm's wiki is maintained or whether current events are recorded but I love that with some realms you can get a sense of their entire history going back half a decade. You see why things are as they are, why that war happened and why the vile realm of Keplerstan will always be your mortal enemy.