Author Topic: stopping ForumMaster from destroying BattleMaster  (Read 132150 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Sadly people confuse ooc and ic quite often and I am very happy that locals are gone.

If you really want to find out what is happening on the other side of your continent, contact people in game.

I actually think that was hardly the case, and besides why should I message random people (using the OOC chat by the way, something that is very immersion breaking) on the other side of the continent when people could just be discussing it freely in a forum?

Zakilevo

Why don't you ask him ICly then? Why do you insist knowing Oocly?

If you want to know Oocly, you can use IRC for that.

Gustav Kuriga

In order to ask ic or ooc, I would first have to have him either my contacts list or in a guild/religion that I'm in. Outside of that, I find that IRC is a horrible experience, especially because it is mostly unmoderated in comparison to the forums. Besides, you can only really talk to a relatively small number of people on IRC, because I feel that most people really don't want to pay attention to a chat constantly in case they might miss something, while in a forum you can just leave a post and read the new ones whenever.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
So you want to know everything, but spend as little effort as possible to do so?

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
No I do not want to know everything but I do like reading about other peoples issues. Yet at the same time can't understand why some get so worked up about things. Its only a game which wee all like or we wouldn't still be here.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Gustav Kuriga

So you want to know everything, but spend as little effort as possible to do so?

Seeing as I was in charge of the second largest city in dwilight, which left me little time to move outside my realm to meet said people and get them on my contact list, and starting an OOC chat inside SA just seems rude. Besides, I want to know whats going on in OTHER continents. So talking to someone who is on the same continent isn't exactly a recipe for efficiency.

You see, I'm a pragmatic person who wants to do things the most efficient way possible, and prefers not to bring OOC questions into the game itself.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
  • Amyclas, Belarus, Aigre Valens
    • View Profile
As a silent forum lurker, it does look like Tom is attempting a self-amputation of an itch.

I say, just make the local boards a kind of in-character interaction forum, where everyone would only say what their character would say. Players should communicate in a way that reflects their character's reputation. Ideally, like honorable or at the very least, "prim and proper" medieval nobles, at least in the Dwilight boards.

egamma

As a silent forum lurker, it does look like Tom is attempting a self-amputation of an itch.

I say, just make the local boards a kind of in-character interaction forum, where everyone would only say what their character would say. Players should communicate in a way that reflects their character's reputation. Ideally, like honorable or at the very least, "prim and proper" medieval nobles, at least in the Dwilight boards.

Negative. That would make the forums a required part of the game, which will exclude about 80% of the players. And that would put the moderators into the uncomfortable position of moderating good/bad roleplay, and so on and so forth.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
    • View Profile
Negative. That would make the forums a required part of the game, which will exclude about 80% of the players. And that would put the moderators into the uncomfortable position of moderating good/bad roleplay, and so on and so forth.

I suppose the best way to have a decent well-behaved forum with less moderation would be to have no forums that need moderating. Sounds like a plan.  ;D

Gustav Kuriga

I suppose the best way to have a decent well-behaved forum with less moderation would be to have no forums that need moderating. Sounds like a plan.  ;D

And as was said before, several of our most active players WILL leave if this occurs. Have fun in the silence that follows.

egamma

Wow. Just wow.

Your arguments refuting these things I don't ignore. They just don't matter. Sorry to say it this plainly. Posting arguments why the forum isn't such a bad place on the forum, where all the people who avoid it because they think it is will never see it will change absolutely nothing.

Way to quote out of context, in an effort to paint Tom in the worst possible light. Did you even read the part that I have underlined for you? Read it a couple of times, and then read the paragraph again. Read what Tom was replying to. You'll realize that Tom was completely correct:

If a bear speaks in the forest, and there's nobody in the forest to hear the bear, it doesn't really matter that the bear can talk.

(Did I mangle that enough?)

Gustav Kuriga

Way to quote out of context, in an effort to paint Tom in the worst possible light. Did you even read the part that I have underlined for you? Read it a couple of times, and then read the paragraph again. Read what Tom was replying to. You'll realize that Tom was completely correct:

If a bear speaks in the forest, and there's nobody in the forest to hear the bear, it doesn't really matter that the bear can talk.

(Did I mangle that enough?)

That doesn't really change the context of the quote actually, egamma.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
And as was said before, several of our most active players WILL leave if this occurs. Have fun in the silence that follows.

I don't care if a few prima donnas leave because they don't have a soap box. If they're so invested in this game I find it hard to believe they would quit over a forum we never had for however many years. Also the d-list will be back, presumably.

egamma

That doesn't really change the context of the quote actually, egamma.

Just the "Sorry to say this plainly" immediately after the sentence. I'd say that changes it quite a bit.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
    • View Profile
Players who want to become heavily invested in the game usually find their way to the forum, even if they just lurk like me. Players who aren't in the forum usually won't become committed to the game anyway. It's absolutely hilariously to alienate your most loyal players to hope that it would some how make the come-and-go crowd of players feel more comfortable.